New VPS install: FTP, Wordpress restore, Nginx Directive Snippets

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by peterpetr, Jul 12, 2016.

1. peterpetr

peterpetr Member

Hello, I'm new to ISPconfig and would appreciate some assistance. I've been around Windows servers since NT / 2000 but still learning Linux. My new VPS is 1GB RAM, 1 Core, Ubuntu 14.04. I used the following to install ISPconfig:
    https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/perfect-server-ubuntu-with-nginx-and-ispconfig-3/
    Using the current 'stable' release of ISPconfig as described in the above 'perfect-server...' guide. Also using PHP 5 and MariaDb, all as described in the above referenced guide.

I'm able to login, create a website, ftp user and now want to migrate existing Wordpress sites from another VPS. I have backups of each Wordpress site with BackupBuddy and Duplicator. Please assist with the followoing ISPconfig matters:
    (a) FTP does not give me access using FileZilla, which responds as follows, even though I did use the correct password and tried with a 2nd user also with a correct password:
    Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
    Response: 220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] [TLS] ----------
    Response: 220-You are user number 1 of 50 allowed.
    Response: 220-Local time is now 15:34. Server port: 21.
    Response: 220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
    Response: 220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
    Response: 220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.
    Command: USER <<username>>
    Response: 331 User <<username>> OK. Password required
    Command: PASS ************
    Error: Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
    Error: Could not connect to server​

(b) Is there a FileManager that can be added on to ISPconfig? If not can you recommend a file manager solution?

(c) I've done lots of Google searches for Nginx directives specific to IPSconfig and WordPress. I don't find anything that's specific. Can you please recommend what Directive Snippets I should create and use for my Nginx powered WordPress sites? I tried the following, added in the Options tab for the website accessible only from admin:
    location / {
    try_files $uri $uri/ /index.php?$args;
    }
    # Add trailing slash to */wp-admin requests.
    rewrite /wp-admin$ $scheme://$host$uri/ permanent;
    location ~* \.(jpg|jpeg|png|gif|css|js|ico)$ {
    expires max;
    log_not_found off;
    }​
    But still get the same error as described in (d) below: HTTP ERROR 500

(d) When I attempt to restore my backup of WordPress with BackupBuddy, I am successful but when I go to the site it does not display giving error: HTTP ERROR 500
    I suspect it is related to the Nginx directives but would appreciate your guidance.
    (note: i was able to install a fresh WordPress system using the APS Installer. The fresh WP install worked and allowed me to upgrade to the lastest WP, install plugins... But, to restore a WP site, I had to delete all files and start with a fresh database.)

(e) I am inclined to stick with this most current 'stable' release of ISPconfig as it will likely reduce the number of variables for support purposes. Although I'm keen to upgrade to the ISPconfig 3.1 Beta2. Should I upgrade or wait until there is a 'stable' release of 3.1? Eventually, I'll want to install PHP 7 or preferably HHVM to support high-load WordPress sites.

(f) I have not done anything (yet) with the ISPconfig firewall. I assume there are no ports blocked in this state (where there are no firewall records under System | Firewall)?
    Then, when I click to add a new firewall record, the default is:
    Open TCP ports: 20,21,22,25,53,80,110,143,443,587,993,995,3306,8080,8081,10000
    Open UDP ports: 53,3306​
    Once I add this record and set it to "active = [x]", can I revert to all ports open by just setting "active=[_]?

Thank you.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

a) Most likely there are ports blocked on the server or in a firewall in front of the server. Check the server with the test script and post the output: https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/please-read-before-posting.58408/

b) there is no file manager in ISPConfig as most poeple use a FTP program anyway as thats much faster than a webbased olution. If you want to use a web based file manager, then you can e.g. use pydio. But any other web based FTP software that is written in PHP will work as well with ISPConfig.

c + d) Your nginx snippet should be ok, a 500 error is not a rewrite error, a 500 error happens mostly when you uploaded files with a wrong user (e.g. root) instead of the website user or when there is a bug in the uploaded php code. ypu can find the reason of the error in the error.log of the website. all files in the website have to be owned by the webID user and clientID group of this website.

e) If we would think that ISPConfig 3.1 is stable enough for production use, then we would have released it as final already.

f) Yes, by default here are no ports blocked by ispconfig but it might be that there was already another firewall installed on your server before you installed ispconfig, see a)