Newb to ISPConfig

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by simple69, Jun 6, 2009.

1. simple69

simple69 New Member

Hello all,

I followed Falko's tutorial on the Perfect Server 9.04 with ISPConfig 3. Went through with out a problem and I have everything working now fine with my DynDns sites and the 4 domains that I have registered with various places as well.

With this install I did the MyDNS as well because I have been using ZoneEdit which gives you 5 free zones for DNS. Since I have MyDNS now and I have used all 5 zone with ZoneEdit and don't really want to pay for additional zones I was thinking of taking advantage of the DNS with this server setup. I am a complete newb really to the Linux world and ISPConfig. I can usually follow directions and figure things out but understanding how they work is another thing. :)

Anyways what do I have to do. I have setup my server.host as domain.com, I registered and have this domain in zoneedit.com. I created 2 A(IP) records ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com that point to my IP Address. I then registed the name servers ns1.domain.com to my IP address and ns2.domain.com to my ip address with ZoneEdit. I only have 1 IP address and I am not sure how if I got a second I would connect it to my server.

Anyways I hope you can get some idea out of what I am trying to do and maybe help me out. I just want to be able to register a domain name and provide the hosting from my computer with out having to get DNS from some other place.. :) thanks.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Do you have a static IP or a dynamic one?

3. fhawk

fhawk New Member

You dont't need create the A records(ns1.domain.com) to your ip.
    You shoud register a nameserver under you domain,example ns1.domain.com!