Newb: What will 'work' with ISPc3?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Slowhand, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Slowhand

Slowhand New Member

Hi,

I quite often see posts like " Will application X work Ok with ISPc3?"
    or "Will X conflict with my ISPc3 installation?"

What is the rule of thumb here?

Is it basically to avoid installs which mess with Postfix/Courier/Apache/php config files? How do I know if they do?

Avoid anything which installs another mail server, such as Zimbra?

Would be good to know :)

I'd love some comments here as well if you have a minute... :)
    http://www.howtoforge.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36949

Thanks!

Slowhand

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Everything will work as long as it does not try to configure services that are configured by ispconfig.

3. Slowhand

Slowhand New Member

Till,

So as long as the new installation doesn't configure anything to do with
    Postfix
    Courier
    Bastille
    Apache
    PHP
    ClamAV
    Spamassassin
    ?
    I can safely go for it?

I can tell from the application's documentation if it will try to configure the above?

Can something like Zimbra co-exist on my server as it seems to have its own mail system? I guess I would have to use different ports...?

S

4. till

yes.

How shall anybody answer this question ;) I guess nobody knows if everything is documented for all software that exists on this world...

Zimbra is an email management system that configures postfix and so it conflicts with ISPConfig.

5. Slowhand

Slowhand New Member

Just testing ;-)

I thought it was a self-contained system... Good to know I need to stay clear of it.

S

6. till

End even if it was. You can never install two services for the same thing on the same server. so you can not install two different email servers on the same server as only one service can listen on port 25 at the same time.

7. Slowhand

Slowhand New Member

Till,

What about activating WebDav and installing the Apache Tomcat server?

All Ok to go ahead and do?

S

8. wouterw

wouterw New Member

From personal experience I can tell you that is possible. Depending on you OS and tomcat version, you may have to install another JDE. Also note that the default port of tomcat (8080) conflicts with the default port of ISPconfig (8080 too).

9. Slowhand

Slowhand New Member

wouterw,

Thanks for chipping in...

I'm on Ubuntu 8.04LTS and can install Tomcat from scratch (!) so that would be the latest version.

Do you foresee any problems?

How can I change the ISPc3 default port...? (Search the forums for a start) ;)

S

10. wouterw

wouterw New Member

The only problem is the port number.

You can either change the port number of tomcat in somewhere/tomcat/conf/server.conf or change the port of ISPconfig in somewhere/httpd/conf/sites-available/ispconfig.vhost and restart apache. (I don't know if is configured somewhere else also). An update of ISPconfig also asks on what port to run ISPconfig.

Afterwards you may want to install proxy_ajp to setup apache as the webserver for tomcat.

11. Slowhand

Slowhand New Member

wouterw,

Many thanks :)

I'll change the port for ISPc. Can't help thinking that's a good idea anyway.

This Tomcat thing seems a bit ambitious... I want to run the chandler server for calendaring etc...

S