Newbie DNS question

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Upyr, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Upyr

Upyr New Member

Hello!!!

I'm kind of a newbie with DNS and I have a little question about the DNS architecture and configuration. I have registered a domain (without any DNS) and want to bind it with my IP address so my server gets seen on the Internet.
    I configured the zones in my named.conf file following the instructions in the Traditional DNS Setup How-to and I also added the zone files in /var/lib/named/. When I run the dig command I get the following:

Code:
     dig skyinternet-net.com.mx

; <<>> DiG 9.3.4 <<>> skyinternet-net.com.mx
    ;; global options:  printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 21243
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;skyinternet-net.com.mx.                IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    com.mx.                 694     IN      SOA     a.ns.mx. hostmaster.nic.mx. 835839 3600 300 604800 1800

;; Query time: 16 msec
    ;; SERVER: 200.57.64.66#53(200.57.64.66)
    ;; WHEN: Wed Oct  3 22:16:30 2007
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 96

And that means my domain is not bound to my IP.

Do I have to make my DNS registration with my ISP or something?

Thanks for the help

2. giganet

giganet New Member

Your domain has no DNS.

What you will want to do is go to DNSExit and sign up for a free DNS account, then create the new DNS records there pointing to your server IP, you will use those DNS records ieg; 'DNS1.DNSEXIT.COM' & 'DNS2.DNSEXIT.COM' in your DNS settings area on your server.

That should have you going?

Have a good one

Regards

3. Upyr

Upyr New Member

Thanks for the help.

Now, how do I edit my DNS configuration files to point to those ones?

4. giganet

giganet New Member

Are you running ISPConfig?
    OR
    WebMin?

If so you will edit the DNS for your domain in the Edit DNS area, you will need to access the admin panel VIA the IP though.

Regards

5. Upyr

Upyr New Member

Well, i'm not running either, i'm just running a plain DNS server using BIND

6. giganet

giganet New Member

You would want to manually edit your zone file then...

Not exactly sure about other distros, I use Ubuntu 6.06 and my zone files are located in '/var/lib/named/etc/bind'.
    My zone file is name 'pri.giganetwireless.com'
    your's could as well have www as a front appendage rather than pri as mine does though.

Once you locate your domain zone file open it with an editor and look for the following lines to edit:
    Code:
            NS      ns1.dnsexit.com.              ; Inet Address of name server 1
            NS      ns2.dnsexit.com.              ; Inet Address of name server 2
    This is exactly how my name server line of my zone file appears, the only difference is DNSExit may have you on differently numbered name servers- I don't know, so just use what they provide you in your account.

Let me know if that helped or not?

Regards

7. paul sanz

paul sanz New Member

Hi Every one :)

Im using F7 and i had many problems with pup and pirut and allow me to say that its crap... so many problems

Question :rolleyes:
    If anyone knows how to disactivate the automatic updates up2date without disabling yum| rpm please let me know

In relation to pirut stopped working, configuratin problem could be many things but i will explain the problem i had and how i fixed it..

I got configuation problem and lock table is out of available locker enteries and long hangs which got me no where

these are python errors!! i recomend you restore your system in the follwing way

1.Make a backup of /var/lib/rpm in case you break something
    2. remove the Berkley databases : /var/lib/rpm/_db.00*
    3.rebuild the database : rpm --rebuilddb
    4.check : rpm -qa | sort

hope this helps someone

8. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Please take a look at your cron jobs in /etc/cron.daily, /etc/cron.weekly, etc. I guess it's somewhere in there.

9. Upyr

Upyr New Member

Giganet, thanks for all the help.

I did what you told me in the zone file, but the outcome of the dig command is exactly the same. On the other side I verify the domain on dnsexit and I get the following:

Error: Error:(null)
    NSLookup Reported by Name Server: NS1.DNSEXIT.COM
    Mail Exchanger(MX) Preference#
    no mail exchanger specified
    Hosts (A Record) IP Addresses
    Alias(CName) Alias to Host IP Addresses

NSLookup Reported by Name Server: NS2.DNSEXIT.COM

I think this means the DNS register didn't work well. I'll erase the register and do it again, but I already tried that and it didn't work.

Any ideas???

Thanks again

Greetings

10. giganet

giganet New Member

Code:
    On the other side I verify the domain on dnsexit and I get the following:

Error: Errornull)
    NSLookup Reported by Name Server: NS1.DNSEXIT.COM

NSLookup Reported by Name Server: NS2.DNSEXIT.COM
    Did you create MX and A records too?
    I have attached a chopped up screen-shot of the components screen-shot within DNSExit DNS editing window.

Excluding my 'login.giganetwireless.com' record your DNSExit DSN editer should have these types of records referring to your domain and approriate IP(s).
    The aliases are an option...

Please let me know how this works for you...

Regards

Attached Files:

11. Upyr

Upyr New Member

Giganet, thanks for the help and sorry I reply so late, I haven't had the time to check the ansewer.

I had everything in dnsexit configured right according to the image you post, but I read an error on the same page stating that I didn't point my registrars DNS to theirs. I did so and I'm just waiting for the authorization to have my domain point to ns1.dnsexit.com and ns2.dnsexit.com. I hope after that authorization is ready my domain will actually point to my IP.

On the other side, I want several domains to point to the same IP (the same server) because I'm planning to use apache Virtual Hosts in order to set up a Web Hosting server. Do I still need to configure bind even with dnsexit pointing at my server? On the other side, would you recommend any specific control panel like ISPconfig?

Greetings

12. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

No, you don't.

13. giganet

giganet New Member

Hello Upyr

Sorry for the long delay of response, my data lines have all been down since last Tuesday and were just handed back to me by Verizon not long ago...

Falko took care of you though I see..

With respect to a WWW manager I do like ISPConfig many times above PLESK!
    I had PLESK, whenever you used their forum you could positively count on a zero response.

ISPConfig is very well supported by the community here at HTF.

Make sure and run the stable version though! :D