Newbie questions regarding ssh, databases and apps

Discussion in 'General' started by talkingnews, Jan 28, 2011.

1. talkingnews

talkingnews New Member

I feel fairly confident around ispconfig now - I've joined, bought the manual, followed the guide, installed 3.0.3.2 on Ubuntu 10.10 64 on a vps, updated everything, and have 2 sites running perfectly.

Well, almost. In order of urgency:

I can ssh in as the root user. But this isn't good, so I created a new ssh user in ispconfig with chroot jailkit permissions.

I start putty, connect, type username and password, ubuntu welcomes me, and immediately, I get "remote host closed connection". Can't see anything in the logs about why this would be, and there's no other error. The last thing on the screen is "Ubuntu comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by applicable law". I never get as far as the prompt, and I've tried both /bin/bash (default) and also /bin/sh

Next up: databases. For some reason, the links to ispconfig's internal apps like phpmyadmin doesn't appear to work (404). Not to worry, I installed phpmyadmin separately, but now I want to add another database under the same username.
    phpmyadmin says no priviledges to do this (even though I granted all from mysql command line), but more importantly, ispconfig wants me to create a NEW user for each NEW database. This is going to make copying between databases in phpmyadmin a little tricky!

Finally, and this is probably a more general linux question, but is it possible to dispense entirely with all the "on board" email systems and have all email, alerts etc generated by the system running through my gmail or other external email service? I don't NEED email for the site itself, so running all this gubbins is just taking space.

Thanks, and thanks for a brilliant application.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Any errors in your logs?

See chapter "4.9.2.4 Interface Config" in the manual.

You can do this by logging in as the MySQL root user.

Take a look at the "always_bcc" directive ( http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html ).

Thanks, and thanks for a brilliant application.[/QUOTE]

3. talkingnews

talkingnews New Member

Not that I can find, I'm looking in syslog. The strange thing is, I made a second account, and with all the settings identical, one works, the other logs me out immediately. Weird.

Yes, I realise this. I was just hoping ISPCONFIG and command line would keep me away from the root shell a bit more.

Confused - looks like this requires postfix to still be running? My goal is to remove ALL mail, pop3, smtp, email system from the server, let google/someone else handle it.

Incidentally, should anything ever appear in the TOOLS>APPS AND ADDONS section, should anything ever appear in "packages" and "updates"? I've got the http://repo.ispconfig.org/addons/ repo in there, but it doesn't really get a mention in the manual, and nothing ever appears despite regularly clicking "update".

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Just use phpMyAdmin.

At least Postfix must be running.

The repo is currently empty, so that's ok.

5. talkingnews

talkingnews New Member

OK, big thumbs up and thanks for answering all my questions! :)