Newbie Setup Help

Discussion in 'General' started by NGNZ, Oct 2, 2006.

1. NGNZ

NGNZ New Member

:cool: Hi there everyone,

Thought I would start this thread to see if Newbies like myself can try and make sence of all this........ Sorry i know there will be people out there saying "well if you don't understand it then stop playing around" but there are those of us out there that this is the best way we learn.....

I have installed Ubuntu 6.06 server Perfect install and now have added the ISPconf to the system. Had some problems with install to begin with kept getting permission denied when trying to run ./setup,

Now I have a nice new (well not so new I have been playing) of ISPconf. looks very nice but not sure where to go from here..... I have two sites I want to run for now on a server with local IP of 192.186.2.50 not sure how to do this addess new sites and filed out what I thouhgt were th right feilds but still cant get anything.... well thats not right.. I get it "Shared IP" page. if I goto http://192.186.2.50/ not sure how seperate the sites so they will work alone..... I have two Domains reg'd with a Registar company both pointing to my ONLINE IP they hit my router and that then sends them to my server 192.186.2.50 " at the moment since I could not get it to work I have move them to another server were at least one of the sites works....

Where have I gone Wrong...... and how do I fix it.... (idiot proof reply needed please remeber I am a newbie don't speak CODE to well, and i'm not an Alien working on a 48 hour day like the 2 legends falko and till

Dave :cool:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Installation: You must run the setup script as root user, not with sudo or any other user!

Please select the IP "192.186.2.50" for your websites in ISPConfig, not your external IP address. You should be able to access the websites then by their domain names.

3. NGNZ

NGNZ New Member

Over Network

Even over an internal network I have tried several differant way to do this. if I use the mysite.com the traffic goes out onto the internet and then returns to my IP address and hits my Router and stops cold.... I have also tried the way I have alway done it on other server I have running..... 192.186.2.50/mysite but I only get the Shared IP msg...

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Please make sure that your router is configured to forward port 80 to your ISPConfig system.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  5. NGNZ

NGNZ New Member

falko.... my router is already set for port 80 forwarding..... if I'm outside of my local network getting past the router is not a problem... but if I am on a PC inside the network and go out through my router and onto the internet I'm using the same IP address out as I have coming back in and the router knows straight away that I'm an internall machine and then requests me to login, the same as I would when going to the router directly through the local network to configure it.

Sorry if i sould like a dumb ass here but I'm new at all this stuff and I'm trying my best to learn .......

Dave :)

6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

That sounds as if your router doesn't support loopbacks. As a workaround, you could set up an internal DNS server for the systems in your LAN that points the domains to the internal IP address instead of your router's public one. If you don't want to set up a DNMS server, you can also edit your systems' hosts files.