Newbie starter guide on making site online

Discussion in 'General' started by kapatid, Mar 15, 2006.

1. kapatid

kapatid New Member

hi guys, im a newbie in here, My problem is i want to hosts my own websites,I got a DSL connection, and I have my own static IP. So when i search google about it, I found out ISPCOnfig is capable of it, then i found good wiki to start with. So now i got ISPCOnfig running on my Ubuntu 5.10, here's where my problem starts, im stuck,I don't know what to do next... I want to ask u guys a good starter guide for a newbie like me on how to hosts my own sites. What are the things that I would do...

Thanks, Hope to hear from u guys,

regards,
    Kapatid

2. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

kapatid,

You do not need ISPconfig for what you want to do.

ISPconfig is more a controll panel for server owners who want to sell serverspace (hostingplans) to others.

(With ISPconfig you can setup hostingplans like for $20 you get 20GB of webspace, 100GB of data use, 5 email addresses, ect ect..)

All you really need is a webserver (Apache), and FTP server (so you can upload your pages) and if you make use of a database you will need MySQL.
    You can also add things like PHP, BIND, and an email server.

ISPconfig will interface with all the above stuff, but it's an overkill for only one or two websites

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

If you are a newbie, I recommend to use ISPConfig because it lets you create multiple web sites, email and ftp users, MySQL databases without Linux knowledge.

What exactly is the problem you're having right now? Did you have a look at the manuals? http://www.ispconfig.org/documentation.htm

4. kapatid

kapatid New Member

thnks for ur concern guys, what my problem really is that i dont know where to start next. I've already created a website but it is not online yet. I wan't to make it online by hosting it on my own using ISPConfig. I wan't to know what are the things that i needed or to do to make it online. Do i need to purchase my own domain name? Pls. bear with me...thnx

5. falko

Yes, you need a domain name, and you must point its DNS records to your ISPConfig server's IP address.
    And you must create a web site in ISPConfig and use that domain name for it.

6. kapatid

kapatid New Member

oh i see, now i got a domain name and it is already pointed on my dns records but the ip address of my server is my local ip address, the address that i get when i type ifconfig on the shell.am i doing the right thing?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  7. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

You will need to use your WAN IP address.. Go to www.whatismyip.com , and use that.. That is .. if you have a static IP!

8. woodbury

woodbury New Member

further help

Hello everyone

this thread started to answer my questions =). I'm trying to do the same thing Kapatid is doing, I registered my domain name, log in to that site and click on their control that says "Set Nameservers". It already has 2 set for their default stuff, if I add or change one by putting in the IP of my system running ISPConfig, it says "Nameserver [#] has an invalid TLD."

Any help would be appreciated!

9. falko

What exactly did you try to do?

10. woodbury

woodbury New Member

Ok here is the rundown..

I want to act as a server for my website, set up this computer to be the host for this site, so all I'll need to pay for is the domain registration (right?).

Anyway, I've gone into this with a lot of computer knowledge, but not much networking, etc experience. I first tried just setting up ISPConfig without the fresh install on my system running Mandriva 2006, based on the "perfect set up" thing. It ended up having problems, so I did a fresh format and followed all the "perfect set up Mandriva 2006" steps, with little error. It is now up and running, although I have the hostname under the same address I want to put on the Internet (I don't know if that is a mistake or not).

Well I registered my domain name with GoDaddy, and trying to figure out what to do next brought me here. I found out that I needed to "point" the DNS records at my IP, so I went into their option called "Set Nameservers". Here, it doesn't let me put in my IP or the DNS that I set--it gives me the error I mentioned above. I noticed these "Nameservers" come in pairs, is that the only problem? I don't see any other options in GoDaddy that have anything to do with pointing DNS, etc.

I have some other questions, but this issue should help me figure out those issues too.

Let me know, thanks for the response!

11. falko

Is it possible for you to use GoDaddy's nameservers instead of your own ones? Then you should do that as it saves you some trouble.
    Then you must simply create DNS records for your domain on GoDaddy's nameservers.