nextcloud install? missing something??

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by craig baker, Nov 2, 2021.

1. craig baker

craig baker Member HowtoForge Supporter

I'm installing new nextcloud on a centos server. now before, I was using a vhost so it would be nextcloud.mysite.com and things mostly worked adapting the existing install docs, where you are installing under /var/www/html
    I'm trying to install it as an /etc/httpd/conf.d conf directive (like rainloop or roundcube) so that ALL websites can get to it by mysite.com/nextcloud.
    But my modification of the instructions is not working. permissions seem to be the problem
    under a vhost nextcloud is invoked by httpd with the webx/clienty as the ownership of that folder. but we have permissions issues if various websites access the /usr/share folder. but it works for rainloop/roundcube so I'm missing something!

my /etc/httpd/conf.d/nextcloud.conf folder contains: (took options from the working rainloop conf)
    --snip--
    Alias /nextcloud "/usr/share/nextcloud"
    <Directory /usr/share/nextcloud/>
    Options +FollowSymlinks
    AllowOverride All
    Require all granted

<IfModule mod_dav.c>
    Dav off
    </IfModule>

SetEnv HOME /usr/share/nextcloud
    SetEnv HTTP_HOME /usr/share/nextcloud
    </Directory>
    --snip--

I unzip nextcloud into /usr/share/nextcloud
    when I run the installer, I get security errors. since I'm unpacking as root, root:root is the ownership in the nextcloud folder.
    Changing permissions to 777 on nextcloud (I know shotgun) - the installer runs but does not finish properly. it complains data folder readable by all.
    the data folder I create per instructions, but it wont let it be 777 (says everyone readable). says to make it 770.
    I do.
    but then it says data folder is corrupt! says a file .ocdata cant be read (its there and just fine).

I can stumble around, and get it going I'm sure. but hasnt anyone else run into this?

Maybe there should be a nextcloud install tutorial that is for ALL websites on a server? (thats what I'm trying to create after all :)
    it works for roundcube and rainloop (and obviously thats how it NEEDS to work for them). why not for nextcloud?

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This is not a good idea (security wise at least) at all.

What you could do is install it on a normal vhost and set up a redirect rule to redirect anysite.example.com/nextcloud to nextcloud.example.com. This is also best practice for Roundcube, PHPMyAdmin, etc.

By the way, why would you want all your users to use one Nextcloud instance?

3. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

A reverse proxy might also be a viable setup (if indeed there's a use case for a single shared nextcloud instance); I have no idea if nextcloud has a concept of "multisite" installs.
    Yes, maybe see if you could find such a tutorial.