Nginx + Apache

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Lordie, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Lordie

Lordie New Member

Hi guys and gals.

I have a dedicated server which currently run the Nginx webserver. However, I want Apache installed as well, but without interfaring with sites already using Nginx. My ideal enirionment would be to be able to set which sites should use which webserver.

The reason I want this solution is that the guy I am sharing the server with uses Nginx on his projects, but mine requires the use of .htaccess (gives me a headache). And no, getting rid of Nginx is not an option at the moment.

My qustion is, what would be the best way to do?
    It is also worth mentioning that I am no Linux guru at all, but I do manage to get around most of the time.

P.S. If this has been asked before, I apologize for making a duplicate post.

Thanks.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

If your server has two or more public IP address, you can make Apache listen on one IP and nginx on the other.

Another option would be to run a reverse proxy (e.g. Squid, Varnish, or Apache) in front of your nginx and Apache web servers (which must then run on other ports, e.g. 8080 and 8081).

3. Lordie

Lordie New Member

Thanks for the reply!
    In fact, my server does have aditional public IPs (3 I think), so I think I will go with that.

Is there a how-to on how this is done? I do not want to mess anything up.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer