Nginx services wont start

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by gLeW, Jun 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. gLeW

gLeW New Member

Hi im new with ispconfig. i follow this guide to install
    https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/ispconfig-automated-install-script/
    The only change i made its to put Quota "no" because if i put yes, after restart the server givme some errors.

After complete this guide i make this other guide https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/securing-ispconfig-3-with-a-free-lets-encrypt-ssl-certificate/
    i see i have an error when try to star ngix.

I started again, reinstalled the server from 0, I just made the first gui, and try to restart the nginx service.

it gives me the following error
    when i put systemctl status nginx.service

givme this result
    Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Seems as if you made a mistake while following the second guide. There is an SSL cert missing now and that's why nginx can't start. The second guide instructed you to create a website for the server hostname in ispconfig and enable SSL and let'sencrypt for that website. My guess is that you either did not create that website or Let's encrypt was not able to issue an SSL cert for that site which then resulted in the missing SSL cert that now causes nginx to fail.

ahrasis and gLeW like this.
  3. gLeW

gLeW New Member

Perfect i already can.
    Thanks a lot

4. blacklotuss

blacklotuss New Member

Hi till, just ran into the same issue, may I ask how to fix it? I simply cannot enter ISPConfig in order to do it add the server domain since nginx won't start.

5. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

What shows
    Code:
    systemctl status nginx
    systemctl --state=failed

6. blacklotuss

blacklotuss New Member

Code:
    root@rockonnet:~# systemctl status nginx
    ● nginx.service - A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server
       Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nginx.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
       Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2019-05-13 19:44:30 UTC; 1 day 21h ago
         Docs: man:nginx(8)
      Process: 2151 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/nginx -t -q -g daemon on; master_process on; (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

May 13 19:44:30 rockonnet systemd[1]: Starting A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server...
    May 13 19:44:30 rockonnet nginx[2151]: nginx: [emerg] BIO_new_file("/usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl/ispserver.crt") failed (SSL: error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory:fopen('/usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl/i
    May 13 19:44:30 rockonnet nginx[2151]: nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed
    May 13 19:44:30 rockonnet systemd[1]: nginx.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
    May 13 19:44:30 rockonnet systemd[1]: nginx.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    May 13 19:44:30 rockonnet systemd[1]: Failed to start A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server.

Code:
    root@rockonnet:~# systemctl --state=failed
      UNIT            LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION
    ● dovecot.service loaded failed failed Dovecot IMAP/POP3 email server
    ● nginx.service   loaded failed failed A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server

LOAD   = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
    ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
    SUB    = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.

2 loaded units listed. Pass --all to see loaded but inactive units, too.
    To show all installed unit files use 'systemctl list-unit-files'.

7. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Quota always works for me, so not sure why yours isn't.

It means you didn't successfully created the certificate. Common problem was hostname for server is not properly defined. What is your server hostname via hostname -f command? Do the website have the same name?