Nginx, websites unavailable shortly when one is changed

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Kenneth Hardy, Mar 5, 2023.

1. Kenneth Hardy

Kenneth Hardy New Member

Hi. I'm using ispconfig with nginx to host a few websites. Lately i've started monitoring uptime on some of the sites. And after that i've noticed that whenever I make some changes to one website, most other sites are affected.

It might seem that nginx does a restart instead of reload. Is this intended to be like this or might I have a misconfiguration somewhere?

If I might have set up something wrong, where would I start to look?

2. Kenneth Hardy

Kenneth Hardy New Member

Current setup is:
    1 x webserver with nginx
    2 x DNS servers.

Is perhaps 1 more webserver needed to keep this from happening everyime something changes on one website?

3. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This is intended, for some actions to properly test the config a restart is necessary.

4. Kenneth Hardy

Kenneth Hardy New Member

I see. Is there any way to contain it only to the changed website? Perhaps using some kind of cache, redundancy or CDN? What would be the suggested way to approach something like that?

5. Th0m

Such a restart usually does not really cause downtime, it will only interrupt the current connections. What is the downtime you are seeing and how many sites are hosted on this server?

6. Kenneth Hardy

Kenneth Hardy New Member

The downtime is very short. 1-10 seconds perhaps. Depending on which kind of change is done, fetching new certificates seems to cause the longest downtime and changing nginx directives is the shortest, but it is still enough to trigger uptime kuma to see the some of the services as down every time a change is made. Downtime seems to be during the "changes"-icon with a number up at top is present and applying the changes. If I was to try fetching the website during this period it gives me a yellow 502 server error page.

The server has approximately 50 active websites, whereas 10 of them are actual websites, the rest is mostly reverse proxies, subdomains and such. Server is not under any kind of hard load either.

7. Th0m

A restart is a restart, doesn't really matter what the change is. I have seen such messages in other monitoring platforms as well, but within not even a second such a downtime is usually over.

Eventually you can change the config regarding restarts. See System > Server config > server1.example.com > Web > "Test webserver configuration on restart". Disabling this will just reload, but the risk of crashing the whole server with a misconfiguration in e.g. the nginx directives is bigger.

Kenneth Hardy likes this.
  8. Kenneth Hardy

Kenneth Hardy New Member

I see. Thank you! I will think about it then. But good to know that it is intentional and not something I've misconfigured.