No Access to Control Panel from outside the network

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by testpress, Jan 9, 2015.

1. testpress

testpress New Member

hello,
    first off, thank you in advance for any light shed on my issues, i learn tons rifling through the cases and troubleshooting here. good stuff!

i have three issues going on with ispconfig and i wouldnt be surprized is they were somehow all related. heres what i have going on..
    I have a vm running ubuntu 14.04 Ispconfig 3 the build i am using is here . its has php myadmin, pure ftpd all that and is all working great after some tweaking....
    i am sure...
    ssl is working correctly
    proper permissions are there and working correctly
    dns and routing is properly configured
    domains are 100%
    no errors in any logs
    ports forwarding in both ap and host are correct, isp does not block any
    ispconfig files are all configured and listening on correct ports
    everything is updated/upgraded
    domain hostnames/ vhosts / vmails all working

Problem #1

however i cannot access the ispconfig control panel when i am outside the lan at the configured address https://example.com:8080. with that being said, i can reach locally both using local and public addresses, as well as using the domain name routed via host dns. ie https://mydomain.com/8080 can be accessed from any machine on my office network, but from home i get a timeout.

I have gone through the first twenty pages of every dearch i could think of and cannot find anything about this specific problem. phpadmin, apache, vhosts, postfix send receive, ftp, everything works and is solid uptime with no errors but i cannot access this from anywhere but the lan

Problem #2

No matter what web mail i configure, the button function in the mailbox user list, when clicked, take me out to example.com:8080/webmail but just like with problem number one i mostly timeout, once in awhile i will get the vanilla apache 80 not found..

i have tried with squirrel mail as well as round cube and have had the same problem with both. seems no real clear answer or topic that i could find, mostly all about ssl usage and setup issues.

Problem #3

i am using pure ftpd, works great locally and remotely via the domains > ftp users management tab. however when i follow the ftpduser guide to create a ftp account and it modifies the permissions say for www:data or even a root level account in terminal, ispconfig stops working and gives me a permission error. i know your thinking im doing it wrong but no matter what directory/file i change the permission, i have found that if ispconfig uses or interacts with that file or directory, that it breaks down. so if i create an uploads folder under xyz domain and then changed the owner or group ect... ispoconfig breaks down and gives 500 errors for every file/directory that is relative to that change in permissions. and there is no errors, logs show nothing of note.

hopefully someone can maybe point me in the right direction
    also, i know you prolly want to see my configs however due to the weirdness of this issue and not being able to find anything remotely helpful, i am not sure what you would need. so let me know and i will post them

love this control panel, have used cpanel for years and even thou ispconfig is not as eleborate, it holds it own

thanks & cheers!

Kevin

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

1) When you can access it from within your network, then the problem is not on your server. Check out your router, ether port 8080 is not forwarded to the server in your router configuration or your router uses port 8080 for its own config interface and therefor is not forwarding it to your server.

2) The link to webmail is freely configurable, yu can set it to any iurl you like. see System > Interface config settings. So you can set there the URL of the webmail application that you installed on your server.

3) Do not follow the FTP user guide, it is incommpatible with ispconfig. Following its instructions will destry the ispconfig setup. Just follow the perfect server guide that matches your linux distribution http://www.ispconfig.org/page/en/documentation.html to install ispconfig, it installs all software that is nescessary incl ftp. And in any case, never change folder permissions to www-data, this is not nescessary and punches a big security hole in your server and it will cause wordpress and other cms systems to fail with 500 error.

all you have to do to install wordpress is:

Login to ispconfig, click on new website and create it, click on new ftp user and create it and then upload the wordpress files with the ftp user that you created in ispconfg into the "web" directory of that site.

3. testpress

testpress New Member

very much thanks. i was able to fix partially with the link you provided. One of the biggest was improper config on my destination in that it only listed local host 127 address. I also started fresh install and despite using the same config and setup. things start working. Round cube is working fine and so is the "go to" button in the mail box user interface.

i have one more problem and it is the last one. the problem is the function of wordpress since the ftp via wordpress admin is working fine. i can download plugins and themes and database, all solid. however, per wp-documentation the problem i having is this.
    when i activate a plugin, and only plugins, in a vhost environment created in ispconfig, why do i get 500 error upon activation? and it isnt just the activation that fails it is the whole site, take me right to the yellow header error ispconfig page.

which error logs would you like to see, or which ones should i be posting?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Take a look at the error.log of the website, there is just ine file with that name in the log folder of the site.

5. testpress

testpress New Member

[Mon Jan 12 11:54:26.192066 2015] [cgi:error] [pid 44957] [client 97.91.71.92:57598] AH01215: PHP Warning: file_exists(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/var/www/clients/client1/web4/wp-config.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/www/clients/client1/web4/web:/var/www/clients/client1/web4/private:/var/www/clients/client1/web4/tmp:/var/www/testpress.co/web:/srv/www/testpress.co/web:/usr/share/php5:/usr/share/php:/tmp:/usr/share/phpmyadmin:/etc/phpmyadmin:/var/lib/phpmyadmin) in /var/www/clients/client1/web4/web/wp-load.php on line 31
    [Mon Jan 12 11:54:26.719728 2015] [cgi:error] [pid 44957] [client 97.91.71.92:57598] AH01215: PHP Warning: file_exists(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/var/www/clients/client1/web4/web/../wp-config.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/www/clients/client1/web4/web:/var/www/clients/client1/web4/private:/var/www/clients/client1/web4/tmp:/var/www/testpress.co/web:/srv/www/testpress.co/web:/usr/share/php5:/usr/share/php:/tmp:/usr/share/phpmyadmin:/etc/phpmyadmin:/var/lib/phpmyadmin) in /var/www/clients/client1/web4/web/wp-admin/setup-config.php on line 56
    [Mon Jan 12 11:54:30.857172 2015] [cgi:error] [pid 51000] [client 97.91.71.92:57600] AH01215: PHP Warning: file_exists(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/var/www/clients/client1/web4/web/../wp-config.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/www/clients/client1/web4/web:/var/www/clients/client1/web4/private:/var/www/clients/client1/web4/tmp:/var/www/testpress.co/web:/srv/www/testpress.co/web:/usr/share/php5:/usr/share/php:/tmp:/usr/share/phpmyadmin:/etc/phpmyadmin:/var/lib/phpmyadmin) in /var/www/clients/client1/web4/web/wp-admin/setup-config.php on line 56, referer: http://testpress.co/wp-admin/setup-config.php
    [Mon Jan 12 11:54:33.151865 2015] [cgi:error] [pid 45045] [client 97.91.71.92:57602] AH01215: PHP Warning: file_exists(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/var/www/clients/client1/web4/web/../wp-config.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/www/clients/client1/web4/web:/var/www/clients/client1/web4/private:/var/www/clients/client1/web4/tmp:/var/www/testpress.co/web:/srv/www/testpress.co/web:/usr/share/php5:/usr/share/php:/tmp:/usr/share/phpmyadmin:/etc/phpmyadmin:/var/lib/phpmyadmin) in /var/www/clients/client1/web4/web/wp-admin/setup-config.php on line 56, referer: http://testpress.co/wp-admin/setup-config.php?step=0
    [Mon Jan 12 11:56:21.433236 2015] [cgi:error] [pid 44957] [client 97.91.71.92:57646] AH01215: PHP Warning: file_exists(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/var/www/clients/client1/web4/web/../wp-config.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/www/clients/client1/web4/web:/var/www/clients/client1/web4/private:/var/www/clients/client1/web4/tmp:/var/www/testpress.co/web:/srv/www/testpress.co/web:/usr/share/php5:/usr/share/php:/tmp:/usr/share/phpmyadmin:/etc/phpmyadmin:/var/lib/phpmyadmin) in /var/www/clients/client1/web4/web/wp-admin/setup-config.php on line 56, referer: http://testpress.co/wp-admin/setup-config.php?step=1
    [Mon Jan 12 11:57:44.088271 2015] [cgi:error] [pid 51000] [client 97.91.71.92:57691] End of script output before headers: php-cgi-starter, referer: http://testpress.co/wp-admin/update.php?action=install-plugin&plugin=buddypress&_wpnonce=273d07583a

6. testpress

testpress New Member

this is from my most recent attempt. it has something to do with the permissions. no matter what i set to or what they import with (644,655,755,777) as soon as the uploaded plugin is activated i recive the yellow 500 error. and ive also checked all the permissions before activiation and after, they dont seem to change but they definatly are not right becuase otherwise i would get a 500 errror. it is alos only the php files located in the site users /web folder. from the mysql side of things and the user side everything is fine and normal data is being sotred and written properly. however when the plugin activates something is happening. can find out why.

with the ispconfig panel, i have found some documentation about the zytel router im using running a service on 8080 that cannot be shut off or something like that. havent read it fully yet so im going to attempt fixing that issue and see if that circumvents the time out issue on the ispconfig admin page

7. testpress

testpress New Member

update.

ive narrowed things down to a cgi error where the head is getting cut off. or at least i think.

Ive notice that smaller plugins install without error while something more complex like buddy press fail to 500 error. Ive since adjusted the php size limits but no change in result.

here is the output error code from the log dir...

[Mon Jan 12 13:28:26.880954 2015] [cgi:error] [pid 53267] [client 97.91.71.92:63685] End of script output before headers: php-cgi-starter, referer: http://testpress.co/wp-admin/update.php?action=install-plugin&plugin=buddypress&_wpnonce=7e6857d2a6
    [Mon Jan 12 13:28:32.788769 2015] [cgi:error] [pid 53257] [client 97.91.71.92:63738] End of script output before headers: php-cgi-starter, referer: http://testpress.co/wp-admin/update.php?action=install-plugin&plugin=buddypress&_wpnonce=7e6857d2a6

8. testpress

testpress New Member

it is resolved. thanks so much. will post backlink to forge from all my sites