No Email

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by mpl, Dec 4, 2010.

1. mpl

mpl New Member

Good Day All,
    Can anyone take a look at my mail log below and point me in the right direction please? I know I have missed something! I need help troubleshooting no email internally or externally. What additional information do I need to provide?

I built the system following this HowTo:
    http://www.howtoforge.org/perfect-server-centos-5.2-ispconfig-3

I followed everything in this HowTo except I built postfix from postfix-2.3.3-2.1.mysql_pgsql.src.rpm. Could not find the Postfix file in the tutorial. Maybe this is the issue??

I have checked and rechecked my config files and I am lost ;-(

"Dec 4 16:31:56 kd8q postfix/qmgr[14576]: 5CA3D2F6885: from=, size=498, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
    Dec 4 16:32:06 kd8q postfix/smtp[18572]: 5CA3D2F6885: to=, relay=none, delay=7553, delays=7543/0.12/10/0, dsn=4.4.3, status=deferred (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=kd8q.com type=MX: Host not found, try again)
    Dec 4 16:35:01 kd8q postfix/smtpd[18733]: connect from localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]
    Dec 4 16:35:01 kd8q postfix/smtpd[18733]: lost connection after CONNECT from localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]"

Thank you in advance

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Check that the nameservers that are listed in /etc/resolv.conf are reachable from your server and that they are working.

3. mpl

mpl New Member

Thanks for the reply Till! DNS resolves as the website is up. Here is the dig:

; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.2 <<>> mail.kd8q.com
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 13215
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;mail.kd8q.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    mail.kd8q.com. 600 IN A 184.57.213.175

;; Query time: 163 msec
    ;; SERVER: 192.168.1.1#53(192.168.1.1)
    ;; WHEN: Sun Dec 5 13:06:52 2010
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 47

4. till

Check that you have a valid MX record for kd8q.com

5. mpl

mpl New Member

OK. Got the MX record problem resolved. Now the connection is refused on port 25 of the server?? Is this an ISPConfig 3 configuration problem? Checked my router ports and is being forwarded to the server.

6. mpl

mpl New Member

BTW...I can connect to port 25 via localhost and postfix queues mail but it does not seem to go anywhere??

7. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

What are the outputs of
    Code:
    netstat -tap
    Code:
    iptables -L
    , and
    Code:
    postqueue -p
    ?

Also make sure that your ISP doesn't block port 25.

8. mpl

mpl New Member

Hello Falco,
    THanks so much for your help! Here you go...

Ohh, and the port is open to the server. I can now telnet into port 25

9. falko

Do you have valid nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf? What's in your /etc/resolv.conf?

10. mpl

mpl New Member

Hello Falco,
    Here is resolv.conf
    [root@kd8q etc]# cat /etc/resolv.conf

search kd8q.com
    nameserver 192.168.1.1

11. mpl

mpl New Member

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. I corrected resolv.conf by adding ISP's nameserver. Now i can send mail but not recieve.

Here is the error in the mail error log:

Dec 7 19:07:38 kd8q postfix/smtpd[24244]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from cpe-184-57-213-175.cinci.res.rr.com[184.57.213.175]: 550 5.1.1 : Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table; from= to= proto=SMTP helo=

Here is an error from Squrrillmail:

Dec 7 19:07:38 kd8q postfix/smtpd[24244]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from cpe-184-57-213-175.cinci.res.rr.com[184.57.213.175]: 550 5.1.1 : Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table; from= to= proto=SMTP helo=

And here is an error from Outlook Express:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '[email protected]'. Subject 'test', Account: 'Michael@kd8q', Server: 'mail.kd8q.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.1.1 <[email protected]>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Now I am thinking I have a postfix mysql problem??? Does that sound resonable? How do I troubleshoot?

Thanks!

12. mpl

mpl New Member

Oooops,
    Here is the error from Squirrelmail:(The above is a dup of mail error log)

Email delivery error
    Server replied: 67 Can't execute command '/usr/sbin/sendmail -i -t [email protected]'.

13. till

Post the output of:

ls -la /usr/sbin/sendmail

14. mpl

mpl New Member

Hi Till!
    Here you go ;)
    root@kd8q web3]# ls -la /usr/sbin/sendmail
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Nov 26 11:50 /usr/sbin/sendmail -> /etc/alternatives/mta
    [root@kd8q

Thanks for your help!

15. till

Ok, and now:

ls -la /etc/alternatives/mta

If it points to another symlink, then post the ls -la for the target too.

16. mpl

mpl New Member

Ok Till, here you go!
    root@kd8q web3]# ls -la /etc/alternatives/mta
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Nov 26 15:53 /etc/alternatives/mta -> /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail
    root@kd8q web3]# ls -la /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail
    -rwxr-sr-x 1 root smmsp 806460 Mar 31 2010 /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail

That's where the trail ends!

Thanks again for your help ;)

17. mpl

mpl New Member

I am thinking this link is wrong. Should it not be pointing to /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix ?

18. falko

Does /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix exist? Do you use Postfix? If so, you can change the symlink as follows:
    Code:
    ln -sf /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix /etc/alternatives/mta

19. mpl

mpl New Member

Thanks for everything Falco! I had too many issues on the Centos installation so I started over with Debian Lenny ;-) I hated to give up but since IspConfig3 was built on Debian, I figured I would have better success with that!