NodeJS Project feature

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by KilioZ, Sep 19, 2022.

1. KilioZ

KilioZ New Member

Hello,

I come here to propose the functionality to create sites under Node.JS

This would be in the aim, to do like what aa Panel is doing.
    To be able to choose the node version to install by "project", to be able to install some elements (Ex: Next.js, Nuxtjs etc...), with a "start/stop/restart" project system.

Thank,

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. KilioZ

KilioZ New Member

4. Th0m

Currently nobody is working on it and we don't have any plans for it in the near future. Feel free to develop it and open a merge request.

5. KilioZ

KilioZ New Member

However, today there are more and more web projects using NodeJS.
    Without putting this feature on your WebPanel, you risk losing many customers (including me who is with you since 2019).
    I chose your panel because it was similar to Plesk and cPanel, but if you're not going to put these features, I'm going to have to leave and take cPanel or Plesk.

6. Th0m

We, the ISPConfig team, work on ISPConfig in our free time. You are not a customer of ISPConfig: the software is free and open source. Threatening me/us to leave is as a "customer" does not mean anything really.

Implementing such a feature can be done of course, and if you are interested you can always try to find a developers who is willing to do it. There are developers (like myself) who you can hire to implement a feature for you.

7. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

you can install node.js and npm globally and make it available to ssh users via jailkit.
    jailkit users can create / install sites using npm, and update their jailkit local node.js/npm version.

this can already be done on ispconfig, as some of our own web designers already do this.
    (and i sure as hell ain't giving them root ssh access to the servers :eek:)

ahrasis, till and Th0m like this.
  8. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Do we already have the how to tutorial for adding node.js to ISPConfig? I can't remember any so far, so may be someone can write it, if wants to.

9. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

i'm sure i've posted the jailkit config i used for it on here, although that would have been quite a while ago.

the jailkit config for node.js / npm / composer etc. i believe are all included in the jailkit config now when it's installed using the auto-installer script. not sure about for a manual install via the perfect server guides.

so i'd guess the only steps needed for an auto-install is to actually apt install nodejs or npm, assuming they're not already installed by the auto-installer (not checked), then either add them to the servers default Jailkit chroot app sections, or each individual sites Jailkit chroot app sections

ahrasis and till like this.
  10. ahrasis

I don't think there was any node.js or npm install the last time I checked, which was almost a year ago but I will test that later.

11. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

@nhybgtvfr has not said that nodejs and mpm get installed by the auto-installer, what he said is that the jailkit config includes the config sections that are required to add it to jails so you just have to install it and activate the config sections.

12. Th0m

Maybe we can add a option to the AI to install node.js and npm, but one has to take the time to develop it.

ahrasis likes this.
  13. ahrasis

I actually get that part but he also said:
    So that is why I said what I said because my last run with the AI was also almost a year old, so latest test may prove otherwise, does that makes sense? But now that it is confirmed there is no install by the AI, I do not have to test it.