Not Feature Request, But List Of Commands

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Quaxth, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

As I wrote in title, this is not a Feature Request, is a request for an List of Commands for restart services.

I'd spend quite a bit of time to find out how to restart services after changing let say a config file. Finally, I mainly use just to restart the server using Crtl+Alt+Del which isn't the rally appropriate action. Also the search of the forum didn't brings up a solution in most of the cases or the are for a different OS which uses different commands.

To have list for ISPConfig 3 with all commands for to restart Services would be a need for Newcomer in Linux.

Thanks.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Retarting services is not ispconfig specific as ispconfig itself is not a service and all other services are the normal ones of the underlaying opertaing system.

On classic Linux systems, the start scripts are in the folder /etc/init.d, to get a list of all scripts, run:

ls /etc/init.d/

to restart e.g. apache, run:

/etc/init.d/apache2 restart

3. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Thanks, understood!

So, let say I added some ports to the Firewall, to restart Bastille I need to run: /etc/init.d/Bastille-firewall restart is that correct?

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  4. orasis

orasis Member

I guess if you have added ports to the firewall using the ISPConfig control panel you do not need to restart anything.
    All changes you make via the control panel go to your Monitor > Show Jobqueue
    IF you see something in that list it means it is not done yet. You just wait a little and it's done without needing to go and restart any service. Actually you would just confuse the situation if you go and restart it at that point.

But generally a server reboot or specific services restart option(s) would be cool, although you can login to ssh and do anything you wish through command line.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  5. orasis

orasis Member

/etc/init.d/service_name restart works but is deprecated for services such as apache2 where you'd have to do either:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/apache2 stop
    /etc/init.d/apache2 start

or
    Code:
    service apache2 restart

you choose what you like.
    These are some commands you can use..

Code:
    service bastille-firewall restart
    service apache2 restart
    service postfix restart
    service pure-ftpd-mysql restart
    service mailman restart
    service jailkit restart
    service dovecot restart
    service spamassassin restart
    service bind9 restart

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  6. orasis

orasis Member

Never do this unless the computer is completely 'stuck'.
    just run:
    Code:
    sudo reboot

or if you are root
    Code:
    reboot

7. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

1.: Your answers came a bit late! Didn't it?

2.: Neither command were working, it's just a way to get the Server rebooting after freezing. And if NOTHING is working any more, the last resort is the Power Switch!

8. orasis

orasis Member

If you do not appreciate my answers just ignore them. I think it is rude from your side to give such a reply on a public forum to someone that posted something in order to help you though.