Not So Urgent - Moving from ISPConfig v2 to v3

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Fairbanks, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Fairbanks

Fairbanks New Member

Hi,

I’m migrating a bunch of clients, domain, web sites and a few resellers from my ISPConfig console v2 (running off an OpenSuSE) to a new separate box with ISPConfig v3 (running CentOS 6.5).

Most of the environment is pretty much static except for one site which I can freeze for a weekend. I have to switch the whole environment using only one “external static IP” to the internet.

I can recreate the new server client by client, site by site, etc in advance. I was thinking that I could just change my internal IP from one server to the other once I'm done, leaving only one server connected to the network at a time to avoid name server conflicts.

This would imply that I would have to send the new web_x account info to each user prior to the move, unless I can force the numbers on the new box within ISPConfig 3.

Is this the best I can do or is there some other approach that would be easier on everyone.

Thanks,

G

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig 3 supports custom login names for email addresses and you can disable the userame prefixes for e.g. FTP users. So the usernames and passwords can stay the same as the password format in the ispconfig 3 database is the same that ispconfig 2 uses in /etc/shadow

As sidenote: ISPConfig.org offers a migration service for ispconfig 2 to 3 migrations, feel free to contact us if you are interested. The software that we use for that will also be available in the ispconfig.org shop in a few weeks for admins that want to do the migration themself.