Notification areas transparency

Discussion in 'Desktop Operation' started by cassel, Jan 22, 2007.

1. cassel

cassel New Member

Hey guys,
    I have little problem (I believe it's little). My notification areas icons are not transparent, then I make all panel transparent, notification areas icons appears with grey background... Anybody knows how to make it transparent?
    I attached file to see what I'm talking about...

Thanks in advance;)

P.S. using gnome and debian etch

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I assume the icons were created without transparency, so there's nothing you can do about it.

3. cassel

cassel New Member

I don't think so, cause then I had ubuntu, I had installed skype, and it was transparent, now, with debian, the same skype, but icon is not transparent, and all other apps I used on ubuntu, had transparent background, I'm using on debian are not transparent... I will keep looking on web, I think it's something with gtk and themes...

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Maybe Debian and Ubuntu are using different icons (non-transparent vs. transparent)?

5. cassel

cassel New Member

Maybe, but thats why I gave an example with skype, not with gaim or xchat, cause those icons comes from skype installation, and I used the same skype installation file which I downloaded from skype site not from repositories..

6. cassel

cassel New Member

So its notification area applets problem, I don't know why, but debian uses old version of that applet.. So I added some ubuntu repositories to my sources list, updated, upgraded gnome-applets gnome-applets-data, restarted and.. and I have what I wanted now;)