ns2 working only (ispconfig multiserver setup)

Discussion in 'General' started by Aivaras, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Aivaras

Aivaras Member

I have multiserver setup with name servers ns1 and ns2, and I found very strange problem...
    When my NS2 turned OFF, ALL SERVER SYTEM goes down/crashed/not accessible, and also NS1 not be seen anymore/not working also (enabled, but invisible for multiserver system).
    All configuration I have checked 10x times... NS1 are man name server, NS2 is second name server, mirror of ns1.
    Whhat problem can be there, if all system goes down, when ns2 is disabled??

Server NS1 I can enable/disable - nothing changes for the system.
    "dig any" returns a the same records in the ns1 and ns2

Why NS1 it failed to do his job?

Please help! Sorry for my bad english :)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

So the setup has been mirrored correctly. Check that the correct ns1 and ns1 are used by the domains (e.g. with intodns.com) and check your network setup as one server should not become inaccessible when you shut down another server, if the setup is done properly then all servers in a ispconfig multiserver setup will run completely independent from each other.

3. Aivaras

Aivaras Member

Thank you!
    I have checked, and found very very strange two errors:
    DNS servers responded ERROR: One or more of your nameservers did not respond:
    The ones that did not respond are:
    -----

- This is my ns1 address. This server is online and seen on ispconfig server/config.. How it can be, that it did not respond..

..and error: 2.
    Reverse MX A records (PTR) ERROR: No reverse DNS (PTR) entries. The problem MX records are:
    197.203.114.167.in-addr.arpa -> no reverse (PTR) detected
    You should contact your ISP and ask him to add a PTR record for your ips

- what is it I do not understand at all (197.203.114.167.in-addr.arpa)

:(

4. till

Firewall or bind is listening on localhost only.

5. till

This means that you IP address has no reverse record. if your server is in a datacenter, then you can most likely set the reverse IP in the controlpanel of your datacenter provider.

Aivaras likes this.
  6. Aivaras

Aivaras Member

Sorry for my question till, but this problem is in datacenter / server setings (amazon in my case) or in my debian/ispconfig installation/setup ?
    Where can be any settings for firrewall or bind listening? I do not have any firewall added in ISPconfig panel..

7. till

Both options are possible. as far as I know, amazon adds a firewall so this might be the problem. You can also check with:

netstat -tap

if bind listens on the external network interface and not just localhost.

8. Aivaras

Aivaras Member

I have reinstalled ns1 server ..
    Changed instance (but attached the same IP as it was 52.34.208.239).. The same problem..
    Reisnstalled again - isnsttalled Ubuntu now..
    Still the same problem, nameserver looks good in the Ispconfig CP, but not accessible as name server..

root@ns1:/home/ubuntu# netstat -tap
    Active Internet connections (servers and established)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State PID/Program name
    tcp 0 0 172.31.26.101:domain *:* LISTEN 7872/named
    tcp 0 0 localhost:domain *:* LISTEN 7872/named
    tcp 0 0 *:ssh *:* LISTEN 1060/sshd
    tcp 0 0 localhost:953 *:* LISTEN 7872/named
    tcp 0 0 localhost:mysql *:* LISTEN 1145/mysqld
    tcp 0 0 172.31.26.101:ssh IN-84-15-181-221.:45219 ESTABLISHED 7394/sshd: ubuntu [
    tcp 0 0 172.31.26.101:35314 web.(my-ispconfig-cp-website).net:mysql TIME_WAIT -
    tcp 0 0 172.31.26.101:35315 web.(my-ispconfig-cp-website).net:mysql TIME_WAIT -
    tcp 0 0 172.31.26.101:35314 web.(my-ispconfig-cp-website).net:mysql TIME_WAIT -
    tcp 0 0 172.31.26.101:35315 web.(my-ispconfig-cp-website).net:mysql TIME_WAIT -
    tcp6 0 0 [::]:domain [::]:* LISTEN 7872/named
    tcp6 0 0 [::]:ssh [::]:* LISTEN 1060/sshd
    tcp6 0 0 ip6-localhost:953 [::]:* LISTEN 7872/named

:(

9. till

Named is listeing correctly on the external interface. so dns service is probably blocked by the amazon firewall then which has also been prooved by your different setups which all failed due to amazon blocking the dns port. You should try to open and forward the dns port in the amazon firewall to fix the issue.