Odd behaviour? databases and users. whats going on?

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by craig baker, Nov 29, 2021.

1. craig baker

craig baker Member HowtoForge Supporter

when I add a database, for a website - only a small number of database users are presented in the pulldown to pick a user.
    and if I edit the PASSWORD of that database user - that user is now NOT selectable as the database user for the same database!
    why does changing the password remove that database user from the dropdown?
    and how to add a database user BACK so it is selectable for a given database when I'm creating a new one??

very odd!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The list shows all database users of the client that owns the website where you add the database to.

This does not happen here on my systems. Check that you use the current ISPConfig version (3.2.7) and check that you do not select a different client for the database user while changing the password.

3. craig baker

its absolutely repeatable. I had c0thai as a valid user for a NEW database. forgot its password so I changed it to one I knew! then c0thai was NO longer selectable for the same new database.
    and yes current ispconfig.
    in general, since only some users are valid for new database (seems to be tied to the site you selected on that same page) how do I ADD a user to be selectable?
    cdb.

4. till

It might be repeatable on your system, but not on other systems where I tested this. But I'll ask the other developers if someone is able to reproduce this on his system. One possibility for such a behavior can be that the web browser tries to fill-in values automatically which changes the client selected in the database user settings.

The website and database user must be owned by the same client. There is a client selector in the website settings and there is a client selector in the database user settings and both must be set to the same client.

5. craig baker

ah - but I have only one client? so all databases and all database users and all websites are owned by same client. explain further?

6. till

That's not necessarily the case, it all depends on which settings you have chosen for the website and database user. If you don't select a client, then they are owned by the admin and not the client. So you must select the same client in the client field for both or no client in the client field for both records. If you mix that up by selecting no client in the website but a client in the database user, then you won't see this database user when you add a database for this website.

7. craig baker

some images. craigscollectibles and virginiansforsafeenergy are 2 sites I host. all owned by same client0. all on same server.
    but the first only lists 3 database users possible to pick the second presents lots more. and any database user whos password I change is removed from the selectable list for craigscollectibles!
    examine snips 1 2 and 3. 1 and 2 are two different 'new' potential databases to be assigned to two sites.
    the third is the shot of craigscollectibles potential users after I changed the pw for c0ccs_admin (available in the first shot). in the third shot, c0ccs_admin is no longer selectable!
    and no its not browser related. I was using firefox for all the snips, then opened ispconfig in chrome and it offers the same (only 2) database users for craigscollectibles?
    hmm uploaded a bit wrong. first image below is choices for craigs collectibles (after editing the password for c0ccs_admin)
    second image is offerings for a database to be associated with virginians for safe energy. lots more!
    third image is the ORIGINAL offerings for craigs collectibles (including c0ccs_admin). after editing pw, c0ccs_admin disappears!
    what gives??
    cdb.
    dbuser3.png dbusers2.png dbusers1.png

8. craig baker

actually, I never pick a client. there really are none.
    and surely users disappearing is a problem in any case??

9. till

Please check the settings of the database users and the websites as that#s where the client is set and post screenshots of them.

10. till

If it's browser related, then this happens when editing the database user. So you can only compare this by editing and saving one user with browser A and then edit another user with browser B and afterwards check if both user disappeared or just one user disappeared.

11. craig baker

here you go. 3 images (2 databases one user) - and client field is empty on all!
    c0ccs_admin is the user that disappeared.
    anything else?

cdb1.png cdb2.png cdb3.png

12. till

Ok. Please open these 3 forms again and press save in each of them, just to ensure that these exact settings that you see are saved to the database. Then click on new database, select one of the see two sites and check if the user c0ccs_admin shows up in the database user select field of the new database.