Odd email question...

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by BorderAmigos, Mar 18, 2010.

1. BorderAmigos

BorderAmigos New Member

Hope I can ask this clearly. I have 5 email accounts in play.

[email protected] is a new one set up with ISPConfig3 on a server in a data center.
    [email protected] is an existing one with a shared hosting provider.
    [email protected] is an existing one set up with ISPConfig3 on a home server and relaying though [email protected]'s mail server.
    [email protected] is a webmail account with Yahoo.
    [email protected] is a Microsoft Exchange Server at the day job.

[email protected] is the issue. It can receive emails from all of the others. But if it sends an email to the other 4, it arrives fine at [email protected] and [email protected] but never arrives at [email protected] or [email protected]. The postfix log says all passed clean with no errors. There is never a return message saying that there was a problem anywhere. They just vanish. I'm thinking the shared hosting provider is somehow blocking these but now sure how or why. The IP and host name for [email protected] don't appear on any blacklists. Anyone have a clue of what else to check out? Thanks.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. BorderAmigos

BorderAmigos New Member

I found my problem. I have set up the same domain name I am using at the shared hosting on my new server in anticipation of moving it. I de-activated the DNS and Web Site for this domain but missed de-activating the eMail Domain. All of the outgoing mail was being dumped into /var/vmail/((domain)) and never going anywhere... in effect the server was thinking there were it's own mails and receiving them before they went out. I deactivated the email domain and it seems to work now.