odd mail issue - thought I had it but no...

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by craig baker, Sep 30, 2023.

1. craig baker

craig baker Member HowtoForge Supporter

I have a site I'm hosting (dns) and they are using godaddy as email (now o365). I put what I thought were the correct records:
    Code:
    ot@ns1 named]# cat pri.knightkingdelivery.com
    $TTL        3600
    @       IN      SOA     ns1.knight-kingdelivery.com. cdb.theeldestgeek.com. (
                            2023092908       ; serial, todays date + todays serial #
                            7200              ; refresh, seconds
                            540              ; retry, seconds
                            604800              ; expire, seconds
                            3600 )            ; minimum, seconds
    ;

knightkingdelivery.com. 3600      A          173.73.223.218
    mail 3600      A          173.73.223.218
    www 3600      A          173.73.223.218
    autodiscover 3600      CNAME      autodiscover.outlook.com
    email 3600      CNAME      email.secureserver.net
    knightkingdelivery.com. 3600      CAA        0 issue "letsencrypt.org"
    knightkingdelivery.com. 3600      MX     0  knightkingdelivery-com.mail.protection.outlook.com.
    knightkingdelivery.com. 3600      NS         ns1.knight-kingdelivery.com.
    knightkingdelivery.com. 3600      NS         ns4.cdbsystems.com.
    default._domainkey.knightkingdelivery.com. 3600      TXT        "v=DKIM1; t=s; p=MIIBIjANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQEFAAOCAQ8AMIIBCgKCAQEA3G9hmPigQqIIxaWT5RxDyZj9NwmQaNGod3pCZO2hoXeFoQA5JSiiNz0tf5R36Kt2Tn9igZGjLCemyI1kGD58a+4GSSi/GcWPfApeuf149XFjZF1Ynmv1j3hSdf1q8BMx6nc+u61P9DvSWuoJ9zN+RQa5F9hIXQUA5tPn+TGCcZDNQ7v9aus39UnIpshcIqDf5lX" "QVHzouWqD8f3hGWumvTc3glDwEbEUJyTBIzi0xhoV3LbFSG/b9MlglryLKgIPnODXUaaTvwTc3V8gg39V/2y4gMp7dPdOROPEsyA5jfgnq8ghusXmj3nzcWXgVxb8Y6jF9TbMv9VocElJ0XVLdwIDAQAB"
    knightkingdelivery.com. 3600      TXT        "NETORGFT5823677.onmicrosoft.com"
    knightkingdelivery.com. 3600      TXT        "v=spf1 include:secureserver.net ~all"

but when I send an email to [email protected] it bounces with:

<[email protected]>: Host or domain name not found. Name service
    error for
    name=knightkingdelivery-com.mail.protection.outlook.com.knightkingdelivery.com
    type=AAAA: Host not found
    from godaddy (before) I thought the MX record was exactly right, but it bounces with an extra knightkingdelivery.com appended?
    I put a '.' after outlook.com in the MX record (and it shows that). Its been a LOOOOOONG day

I also put in the 2 TXT records above per godaddy (the NETORGxxxx and the v=spf1 include:secureserver.net) I did have a general spf1 record and I had to delete it to put in this one.

what am I doing wrong O Great Till, Knower of All Things?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2023
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Fully qualified domain names in DNS always end with a dot. That's not ISPConfig specific, its the way DNS servers like BIND work. if you do not add a dot, then the name of the zone gets appended. Example:

When you add e.g. an A-record "www.somedomain.tld" to the zone somedomain.tld, then it will become www.somedomain.tld.somedomain.tld unless you use "www.somedomain.tld.".

If you take a look at your zone file above, you see that there is also a dot missing after autodiscover.outlook.com and email.secureserver.net

Then the change has either not propagated to all DNS servers (this may take up to 24 hours, depending on how the DNS server, which the client is using, cached the record). A good way to check if your server responds with correct records and if primary and secondary DNS are in sync is to check the DNS zone at intodns.com

3. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Seems the sending server triest to use IPv6 address for MX:
    Code:
    type=AAAA: Host not found
    The AAAA record is for IPv6, and your configuration shows only A record for IPv4.
    I think the sending server is in error in trying to use IPv6 only, it should try IPv4 if IPv6 is not found.

4. till

I guess .....mail.protection.outlook.com should have AAAA records? But I never used it, so you might be right. Another possibility for this missing record might be that the target domain is not set up properly at at Microsoft yet.

5. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Flush the DNS cache of the sending server. Outlook does not have AAAA records, this error tells you that no A and then no AAAA records could be found.

till likes this.
  6. craig baker

hmm just looked on outgoing emails from the new server and several bounce with no PTR record. I told cox to add reverse dns. I assume they did not :(
    --snip--
    refused to talk to me: 554-mail.com (mxgmxus006) Nemesis ESMTP Service not available 554-No SMTP service 554-Bad DNS PTR resource record. 554 For explanation visit https://postmaster.mail.com/en/case?c=r0601&i=ip&v=173.73.223.218&r=0M7TRR-1rb5RT21SR-00xMro)
    --snip--
    our name servers have no control over PTR unless its a subnet of our own network right? no way for me to do anything but bug them :( no automated way to say 'make me a reverse DNS record'.
    and the reverse entry has to be specific for the domain (or several). no wildcard abilities.

7. till

Correct. In almost all cases (unless you are a large ISP that has full control over its own subnets) its the data center or internet access provider that has to set the PTR.

8. craig baker

There IS NO question here :)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2023