Odd memory problem on new wordpress site -- any ideas?

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by craig baker, Jun 12, 2022.

1. craig baker

craig baker Member HowtoForge Supporter

I host many wordpress sites - usually no issues and I have a 'standard' setup including elementor. but a site I'm doing for a new customer (same one the SSL cert was not working for till I let things percolate through the dns space properly) - is starting to annoy me!
    I keep getting white page errors when elementor goes to edit a page, (page goes blank) and error_log has lines like:
    --snip--
    [Sun Jun 12 11:06:44.998232 2022] [fcgid:warn] [pid 1548086:tid 140661132637952] [client 104.129.18.10:33414] mod_fcgid: stderr: PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 1073741824 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 118784 bytes) in Unknown on line 0, referer: https://remodelingbypremier.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=8&action=edit
    --snip--
    now I have in ispconfig/sites/options:
    --snip--
    output_buffering = off
    upload_max_size = 128M
    upload_max_filesize = 128M
    post_max_size = 128M
    max_input_vars = 3000
    max_input_time = 1000
    max_execution_time = 1200
    date.timezone = "US/Eastern"
    memory_limit = 1024M
    --snip--
    And I have allowed php a 1GB limit! it runs out. also runs out at a 4G limit (4096M). Running php 7.4. now I have a hard time believing that 4gb is not enough for this thread. I've disabled plugins, but again this is a very similar setup to other sites that had no issues!!
    any way to debug WHY a php thread suddenly wants 4gb of ram? now I have 256gb in the server, but I hardly want to dole it out like this!
    running apache - any way to get a handle on what is actually happening?

2. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

are those settings in options actually getting applied?
    try checking phpinfo, or the server settings in the wordpress backend ( tools - site health - info - server )
    other than that - try turning on debug logging, and install the query monitor plugin or one of the various other debug plugins.
    that should give some idea of what's going on under the hood.

3. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

Using 4G (even 1G) sure sounds like a likely bug in php code. If you don't find it with debugging plugins, you can always use the old approach of disabling every plugin and switch to a stock theme, then try the other theme or start enabling plugins one at a time till you find the culprit. That can at least get you into one area of code to start troubleshooting.