one domain, many sites

Discussion in 'General' started by atoulis, Feb 27, 2007.

1. atoulis

atoulis New Member

I am looking for a good strategy to accommodate over 90 school Joomla sites using one outside domain (e.g. schools.example.com).

My first strategy was to create a single ISPConfig site (web1) with subfolders for each school. Schools access sites like this: schools.example.com/school1, schools.example.com/schoo2, etc. This works, but I don’t like the fact that everyone shares the same ISPConfig and FTP account.

My proposal is to create an ISPConfig account and web site for every school, and use web1 as a redirection site. web1/www contains symbolic links named school2, school3, etc. that point to web2, web3, etc. School 3 accesses their site through: schools.example.com/school3.

Does anyone foresee any problems with this approach? I've tested it and it seems to work.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Have you thought about using subdomains?

Either shool1.example com or even shool1.shools.example.com. Then you would be able to create a website for every subdomain.

3. atoulis

atoulis New Member

We have considered subdomains, but our flexibility for using them is limited. We have too many users already accessing and using our sites with the schools.example.com/school1 type of addresses and we want to continue with that approach.

As a compromise, do you foresee any problems with this rather simplistic solution?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

No, should work. :)