OpenNewsLetter 2.5.1 package available for ISPConfig 2

Discussion in 'General' started by Hans, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

Today i've created a package for OpenNewsletter version 2.5.1.

OpenNewsletter is a nice and simple Newsletter solution aimed at small-medium scale.
    It does not need any database.

Visit the OpenNewsletter website for more information.

For screenshots, have a look here.

If you're interested in a simple newsletter solution, please visit my website to download it.

Installation instructions can be found here.

Enjoy it! :)

Attached Files:

2. bernholdt

bernholdt Member

Funny i was thinking about this feature would be nice the other day ;)

Correct me if im wrong but this module only can have 1 admin ? it cant be setup so that all users will have their own newsletter module within isp config, anw would it be possible ?

3. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

OpenNewsletter is a simple newsletter solution and yes there is only one admin.
    This software can be usefull for example to inform your clients.

After installing the package, you can copy the content of /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/web/newsletter to the /var/www/web#/web folder of your client. If you have done that, your client has his own newsletter software.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  4. bernholdt

bernholdt Member

Is there anyways to hide the link from the users then ?

5. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

How to install OpenNewsletter 2.5.1 for clients

@bernholdt,

If you copy the directory home/admispconfig/ispconfig/web/newsletter to for example /var/www/web#/web/newsletter,
    your client has the availibility of newsletter software too at http://www.example.com/newsletter.

Of course don't do this if you have the OpenNewsletter software in use already, only after a fresh install of the package.
    I only mentioned this method, to explain about what files are needed, to make it available for clients.

If you need a fresh install for your clients:
    cd /var/www/web#/web
    wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/opennewsletter/OpenNewsletter-2.5.1.zip
    unzip OpenNewsletter-2.5.1.zip
    mv OpenNewsletter-2.5.1 newsletter
    rm OpenNewsletter-2.5.1.zip
    chown -R -v -f webadmin:web# newsletter
    (Remember that web# and webadmin are just an example for the webnumber and administrator as created with ISPConfig)

If you use php5-cgi with suPHP on your system, then you're finished.

If you use php5mod instead, please also do the following:

Make the data.php config.php to writeable for your Apache.
    chown -R -v -f www-data:www-data newsletter/data.php
    chown -R -v -f www-data:www-data newsletter/config.php

The apache user www:data i mention here is for Debian, but can be differend on other Linux versions.
    You can chmod data.php & config.php also to 777, but is less secure.

Integration in a website:

If you're clients website is http://www.example.com and the OpenNewsletter software is in the folder 'newsletter', write this line anywhere in your website:

<iframe src="http://www.example.com/newsletter/includethis.php" frameborder="0" width="200" height="100" style="border:1px solid #CCCCCC"></iframe>

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  6. SupuS

SupuS Member HowtoForge Supporter

7. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

8. Wh1sper

Wh1sper New Member

Thank You for packaging this Newletter system.
    HTML Mail seems to be broken? Or is it just for me?
    It looks like the html and body tags are missing. In the email ther is the pure html source code...

9. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

@Wh1sper,
    I have tested this version of OpenNewsletter, before i provided the package.
    Newsletters created in plain text and html don't give any problem on my ISPConfig server.

I don't know what could be wrong.

10. Wh1sper

Wh1sper New Member

hhm, may be its for thunderbird only, I am investigating it further, when time

11. pjdevries

pjdevries Member

Firstly I want to thank Hans for his efforts and making OpenNewsletter easily available for use from within ISPconfig.

If I understand Hans correctly, a standard installation is not supposed to make OpenNewsletter available for regular users, which is fine for my purpose. However, the link to OpenNewsletter (under the Tools menu) is visible to regular users and as such making it accessible to each and every ISPConfig user. Is there a way to hide that link and make OpenNewsletter accessible to the ISPConfig admin only?

12. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

Hi,

You just can remove the Open newsletter directory within /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/web/tools/tools menu.
    This will remove the menu entry "OpenNewsletter" within ISPConfig. :)

13. pjdevries

pjdevries Member

But then the admins doesn't have a link anymore either. Isn't there a way to make it accessible to admins only?

14. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

The client's admin (webmaster) is in most cases the only person within an organisation who has access to the ISPConfig controlpanel.
    Other users should not have access as they can mess up everything.

Regular users should only have access to the mailuser application. http://www.example.com:81/mailuser. Within the mailuser application the menu item "Open newsletter"is not available.
    So, i don't see the problem.

If you don't want the menu item "Open Newsletter" within the tools menu, then you can delete it and keep the URL http://example:com:81/newsletter in mind.

There is no other solution.

15. pjdevries

pjdevries Member

Thanks for the replies.

I guess by using the term 'user' I confused matters. I used the term for ISPConfig users in general (admin, clients and mail users).

The 'OpenNewsletter' menu item will still be available for Clients, while they don't have access to it. That may confuse them.

If there is no other solution, that is an adequate alternative.

Alas.... I was hoping there would be. I also just installed the Remoting Framework which gives me an additional menu item in the Tools menu. That menu item does not seem to be vissible for any other user than admin, so I was hoping a similar solution would be available for OpenNewsletter :)

Thanks nevertheless for making OpenNewsletter available to us. If I can get the Remoting Framework operational on my server, I'll take a look to see if I can make ISPConfig e-mail addresses available in OpenNewsletter.

16. pjdevries

pjdevries Member

In fact there is. By uncommenting the 'if' at the beginning of the script '/home/admispconfig/ispconfig/web/tools/tools/newsletter/nav.inc.php' along with the closing bracket at the end of the script, the menu item is no longer available for anyone but admin. The code then looks like this:
    Code:
    <? if($go_api->auth->check_admin(0,1)) {
    ?>
    <!-- newsletter //-->
    menuDaten.neu(new LinkEintrag('root','<? echo $go_api->lng("OpenNewsletter")?>','../../../newsletter/index.php','_blank','doc.gif','Newsletter','n',''));
    <? }
    ?>

Or is there some kind of side effect I'm overlooking?

17. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

I guess you found exactly what you want! :)

18. hairydog2

hairydog2 New Member

It isn't working for me either. I'm not sure where the html template is in the setup to be able to fix it either.

Does anyone has an idea?