OpenVZ with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS possible?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by blevita, Dec 6, 2018.

1. blevita

blevita New Member

Hello

I would like to setup ISPCONFIG with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and OpenVZ Support.
    Ist this possible?

Im new to this, and after some reading and reasearching i think that i have to replace the kernel of my Host system with an OpenVZ kernel.

Ubuntu 18.04 uses a Kernel with version 4.xx
    The latest available Open VZ Kernel is Version number 7 which is based on Linux Kernel 3.4.

Therefore im not sure, whether this would be possible?

By the way, the openVz kernel 7 is a beta release from 2016. So is the project still alive and does it make sense to implement openvz in the late of 2018 or are there better ways to offer VPS for customers instead of openvz?
    I know the differences between KVM and OpenVZ and i like the concept of openVZ.

Thanks for your answers.
    Regards

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Nope. Not possible. Wait for ISPConfig 3.2 and see which is supported by it. I think OpenVZ is definitely going to be dropped therefrom. Old separate module for old supported version of OpenVZ may be made available though.

3. blevita

blevita New Member

Thanks very much for your answer.
    This will save me a lot of time.

So i will only install ISPConfig on ubuntu 18.04 without openVZ.

What is the way these days to offer VPS to customers or to use them for own things?
    I often use docker for my servers, but i dont think that this will be the answer in case of offering VPS to customers, right?

I would like to have an simple to use webiterface for managing the VPS.
    Its ok for me if it would be a second one, beneath ISPConfig.

What would you reccomend in the opensource, or at least free, area?

Thanks

4. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I am not so sure either, but I read a lot about KVM + Wok + Kimchi for Ubuntu 18.04.

5. blevita

blevita New Member

Thanks. looks promising.
    I will give it a try. But im still happy to get other proposals.

6. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The open source OpenVZ seems to be a dead project, I wouldn't go that direction at this point. I like their container technology/features, and wouldn't be against their commercial version, but that's not what you were wanting. We've been using proxmox some and it's not too bad of a learning curve, with useful gui management interface.

7. edubidu

edubidu New Member

Hi, I'm looking for the same as @blevita. Did you find a solution since?