Optimize page load from server perspective

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by unsichtbare, Aug 27, 2018.

1. unsichtbare

unsichtbare Member HowtoForge Supporter

I am looking to optimize page load times from a server / website configuration perspective. These are all Wordpress sites, that I can not necessarily edit the contents of or add plugins.
    In: https://www.faqforge.com/linux/enable-image-caching-in-apache-for-better-google-page-speed-results/ it is suggested that you can add
    Code:
    <FilesMatch "\.(ico|pdf|flv|jpg|jpeg|png|gif|js|css|swf)$">
    Header set Cache-Control "max-age=3024000, public"
    </FilesMatch>

to the "Apache Directives" configuration in ISPConfig 3. Is this the correct formatting? Other directives do not contain tags:
    Code:
    <FilesMatch></FilesMatch>
    What other server/site optimizations can you suggest to "tune" Wordpress.
    Thanks!
    -JB

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The image cache time settings you posted should be ok like this, the files match part is required as you want to set the cache time for image, js, and css files only.

Tuning Wordpress normally means that you have to install plugins. WordPress can be really fast and use few resources when tuned correctly, especially in conjunction with nginx, but that all not possible when you cannot install plugins.

unsichtbare likes this.
  3. unsichtbare

OK, thanks. I thought ISPConfig 3 was an Apache (not nginx)?
    I can edit/modify 1 of the wordpress sites - can you suggest plugins to use. Many of the "minify" plugins seem to break my site.
    I will also look/ask in WP forums

4. till

This is not ISPConfig related, ISPConfig supports Apache as well as Nginx.

What you need to speed up the load time of the site is a cache plugin, not a minifier. Minifier might be nice to please google pagespeed test though. I use e.g. the WP cachify plugin with memcache backend and nginx web server for one of my sites. In that setup, cachify writes the pages to memcache which holds the fully rendered pages in memory while nginx is able to read the page directly from memcache without having to connect to WordPress or run PHP at all. This setup might be a bit extreme, but I get load times between 64 - 100 msec reported by google webmaster tools and this is run on a really tiny vm with just 1GB of RAM at the moment, using a bigger VM or non vserver would probably further lower the response times. This does not mean that you have to switch from apache to nginx, that's just an example what one can do even without modifying the site code by just installing a cache plugin in combination with Memcache. With apache you can get nice gains by using an in-memory cache as well, just not sure if apache is able to connect to Memcache directly. But you can find more details on the cachify homepage, I guess.

unsichtbare likes this.
  5. unsichtbare

Thanks for the great response! I am glad to be a subscriber.

6. unsichtbare

Can this work with Apache/Ubuntu? It's a VM, but running on SSD and tons of RAM. memcache is installed and loaded.

7. till

8. unsichtbare

I noticed on install that only Database and HDD caching are supported (on my server). Also Cachify hasn't been updated in 2 years. It seems that APC is a PHP 5 thing? Is Cachify still a valid tool with PHP 7?

THX

My server is:
    PHP 7.0.30-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 (cli) ( NTS )
    Copyright (c) 1997-2017 The PHP Group
    Zend Engine v3.0.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2017 Zend Technologies
    with Zend OPcache v7.0.30-0ubuntu0.16.04.1, Copyright (c) 1999-2017, by Zend Technologies​

9. till

I use it with PHP 7 and it works fine for me, but there might be other or better caching plugins.

10. unsichtbare

I seem to already have php7.0-opcache and php-acpu installed, any idea how to reveal them to cachify so I have other cache type options?

11. till

I would use Memcache. Check if you have the PHP memcache extension installed. And apcu is apc (or in detail, apcu is a wrapper that simulates apc so that the apc functions are available in PHP 7), so when you select apc in cachify, then it should use apcu.

12. unsichtbare

memcached is already the newest version (1.4.25-2ubuntu1.4) - however, cachify specifically says it doesn't support memcache on Apache

13. till

Ok, that's possible. I just use it on nginx. In that case, try apc or even try another caching plugin, there are plenty of them in the WordPress plugin store.