Over reactive fail2ban

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Jonathon Gilbert, Feb 16, 2023.

1. Jonathon Gilbert

Jonathon Gilbert Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi guys,
    I have started having clients contact me after my last server migration to say that some peoples emails are not coming through. i have checked this and sure enough there are particular servers that are being blocked by fail2ban and i can not figure out why.

Can someone explain what fail2ban uses to determine if an IP should be blocked?
    I know how to white list IP but i also dont know how many more of the IPs fail2ban is blocking are actually genuine emails.
    I have a very large client to migrate over and i have been putting him off because of this issue.

Any light on the subject would be greatly appreciated. or tips to check.
    Im mainly interested in seeing if there is something specific causing it. I am using rspamd and can see some emails are being blocked as they should and have whitelisted any that are incorrectly being blocked.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It looks at the log files of the services, you can see that in detail in the config files of fail1ban. Fail2ban e.g. blocks your client when it connects X times for a given mail account using a wrong password to prevent password attacks. The number of false password attempts is also configurable in the fail2ban config and you can see in fail2ban log which Ip got blocked for which misbehavior.

3. Jonathon Gilbert

OK so the error that shows with the specific IPs that are being blocked is "postfix-sasl" because it's an email coming in.
    What logs would tell fail2ban it's a bad IP?
    Im guessing the Spam filter? However when I look in there the specific blocked email does not show as having been recieved. So I can't see why it's failing. I

4. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

/var/log/mail.log (debian based servers)

it'll check that log for the number of failed login attempts.
    shouldn't block other mta's based on that though, they should be connecting to port 25 without authentication, so no login failures ;)
    possibly the ip is being blocked (or rather mail rejected) due to being on an RBL? should also show that in the same log file.

5. till

Fail2ban does not block based on an incoming email and the issue is not spam related or related to the content of the email. fail2ban is a system to block IP addresses based on wrong password use. What happens here lilely is that the user that connects to the system is using a wrong username or password, so there is no email delivered, he tries to use smtp auth with wrong username or password, delivery is stopped because of that wrong username or password and he gets banned for doing this too many times. Contact your client and ask him to set correct username and password on all email clients he uses this account on. and as @nhybgtvfr suggested, post the mail.log part regarding this incident and also fail2ban.log

6. till

In general, check the mail.log for smtp authentication failures for any account of that client, because if the client uses multiple accounts behind the same IP address, the any of these accounts can cause the block for exceeding smtp auth failures.

7. Jonathon Gilbert

But the blocked IPs are from people trying to send my client an email. It's not blocking my clients IP.

8. Jonathon Gilbert

Ok thank you for those tips above. i have now checked the mail log and yes... my clients IP is having an issue.
    it states :
    warning: hostname ip-[client IP].addr.[my ISP] does not resolve to address [client ip]: Name or service not known
    im guessing this is where is it running into an issue.

9. Jonathon Gilbert

and this is regarding the email my client is trying to receive

Feb 16 23:27:03 [myserver] postfix/smtpd[439033]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from mail.[email.sender][email sender IP]: 450 4.7.1 <[email sender domain]>: Helo command rejected: Host not found; from=<email address of sender> to=<[email recipient]> proto=ESMTP helo=<[email sender domain]>

10. Jonathon Gilbert

Im using rspamd, so could i just disable this in /etc/postfix/main.cf. would it stop blocking it and just let rspamd do its job?

"smtpd_helo_required = yes
    smtpd_helo_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, check_helo_access regexp:/etc/postfix/helo_access, permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_invalid_helo_hostname, reject_non_fqdn_helo_hostname, check_helo_access regexp:/etc/postfix/blacklist_helo, reject_unknown_helo_hostname, permit"

11. Jonathon Gilbert

This is what i get when i have the sender send to my gmail account and then run the original email through the rspamd spam scanner.
    It passes the tests and has a score of 0.49/20

BAYES_HAM (-3) [100.00%]
    HFILTER_HOSTNAME_UNKNOWN (2.5)
    DMARC_POLICY_REJECT (2) [gazley.com : No valid SPF, No valid DKIM,reject]
    NEURAL_HAM_LONG (-1.999981) [-1.000]
    ARC_REJECT (1) [signature check failed: fail, {[1] = sig:google.com:reject}]
    DATE_IN_PAST (1) [28]
    NEURAL_HAM_SHORT (-0.999929) [-1.000]
    MIME_GOOD (-0.1) [multipart/mixed,multipart/related,multipart/alternative,text/plain]
    RCVD_NO_TLS_LAST (0.1)
    MX_GOOD (-0.01) []
    HAS_XOIP (0)
    FROM_HAS_DN (0)
    FREEMAIL_ENVRCPT (0) [xxxxx]
    PREVIOUSLY_DELIVERED (0) [my-gmail account]
    HAS_ATTACHMENT (0)
    RCPT_COUNT_ONE (0) [1]
    RCVD_COUNT_THREE (0) [4]
    TO_DN_ALL (0)
    FREEMAIL_TO (0) [gmail.com]
    FROM_EQ_ENVFROM (0)
    R_DKIM_NA (0)
    MIME_TRACE (0) [0:+,1:+,2:+,3:+,4:~,5:~,6:~,7:~,8:~,9:+,10:+,11:~,12:~,13:~,14:~,15:~,16:+,17:+,18:~,19:~,20:~]
    MID_RHS_MATCH_FROM (0)

12. Jonathon Gilbert

OK so after spending the last 4 hours trying to find ways around this issue, i have reached a point at which i am willing to "wait and see if it works".
    i have disabled "Reject unknown hostnames" found in the ISPconfig console under "Server Config" - "mail".
    I will see how this goes. if you think this is a bad idea or if something else i have mentioned may be the cause or be a better option... please let me know.
    i will be watching the rspamd history to see what happens and may update later if the issue still exists.

13. till

Ok, so you did not have any issues with fail2ban but a problem with spam scoring in Rspamd.

14. Jonathon Gilbert

the email doesnt hit rspamd. so rspamd doesnt have a chance to do anything with it. from what i can tell, it is being blocked by postfix for not having a valid hostname.

Does this setting in the server config only relate to rspamd or does it relate to postfix?

15. till

That's a postfix setting and not a Rspamd setting.

16. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

You never want to use hostname rejection like "reject_unknown_helo_hostname". This will reject mails from most automated systems and alot of exchange servers.

Alot of mail servers are still not compliant with RFC 2821, so this will almost certainly reject mails you don't want to reject.

//EDIT: I talk about Section 3.6 in the RFC

Jonathon Gilbert likes this.
  17. Jonathon Gilbert

T

Thank you for that,
    are there any others in there that may also be causing a similar issue?
    "smtpd_helo_required = yes
    smtpd_helo_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, check_helo_access regexp:/etc/postfix/helo_access, permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_invalid_helo_hostname, reject_non_fqdn_helo_hostname, check_helo_access regexp:/etc/postfix/blacklist_helo, reject_unknown_helo_hostname, permit"

18. Jonathon Gilbert

random questing in relation to this... If the sending server only has a v6 IP in the header and im not setup with V6 would this also cause a similar issue?

19. till

In general, do not manually alter the postfix config. There is no need to do that. The default setup is fine and works like this on several hundred thousand systems worldwide and normally does not cause false rejections. The setting if unknown hostnames are rejected or not is controlled via a setting under system > server config > mail, so only change it there and do not edit postfix main.cf file.

20. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

All of them can cause issues sure. But see, i don't do any helo rejections on our main mailserver and let our spamsystem handel the stuff.
    However on my privat/small mail server the case is a lot different for example:
    But like till said, i would not change the settings as long as there is no complain from a user or you notice that a large amount of valid mails are being blocked by your server.

I wouldn't do it myself on our production machines as our rspamd is heavily customized and works almost perfectly for us. But i considering letting these reject_*_helos enabled on the new machines and decide if i want to use it or not after some live testing.

Jonathon Gilbert likes this.