overall admin ftp account

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by whitty, May 16, 2006.

1. whitty

whitty New Member

Is there any way to set an ftp user up to have access to the web directory of EVERY site hosted? Basically the same as setting any normal user as admin, except globally so he can log into all accounts from one name. I ask because i have a bunch of sites set up for things like redirects from a subdomain to my router page, a subdomain to my admin page, a root www directory that has all the host info, all that type of stuff, except these are all sites admined by me for my own reasons. It'd be nice to have one ftp user for all of them, since it's just a handfull of trivial things like redirect pages.

2. Norman

Norman Member HowtoForge Supporter

That is not a recommended behavior.
    It's a security risk since FTP sends passwords in cleartext.

However if you really want this you can check out the examples in /etc/proftpd.conf and configure your FTP-server for one user to have the root-directory of /var/www or /home (depending on where your users reside).

This might not work since your user-directories are owned by different users.
    You'd have to add one user to have root priviledges in the system (shared uid 0) I think or allow root to ftp.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Another solution might be to login with SCP as root user to transfer files. A nice free windows SCP program is for example WinSCP.

4. whitty

whitty New Member

I did know ftp was insecure that way, but it isn't really a production environment, doesn't house sensitive data, and it really wouldn't be a problem.

On the other hand, I just installed WinSCP, forwarded the ssh port, and boom, works without a hitch, exactly what I needed! Thanks for the great suggestion!