own DNS, 1 IP,... Options?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheRudy, May 24, 2006.

1. TheRudy

TheRudy ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Hey

First off, sorry if this topic already exists, if so, please post me the link cause i couldn't find anything usefull or i managed to miss it :(

Right, my biggest problem is DNS stuff as with all new guys trying to do server stuff.. For start i will have 1 IP address available and i would like that each domain name that is hosted on my server, uses my DNS.

So hosted domain would point to:
    ns1.mydomain.com
    ns2.mydomain.com

Is it possible to use 1 IP address for master and slave? I know its really not recommended but i only have 1 ip currently.. What are my options?

I am familiar with services like everydns.net where you set records for domain name and simply point to your server IP. This is what i don't want cause if you do whois on domain name, it will be their DNS listed there.

PS: Sorry for newbie questions but this DNS is something i can't get into my head.. never done anything with DNS so far (using everydns like services don't really count if you ask me..).. Did read LOTS of documents about DNS, how it works and stuff but its just confusing and i know you guys can explain it in a few sentences..

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

It's possible, but not optimal. You would then only have a master, but no slave, and ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com would in fact be the same machine.

Have a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6292&postcount=4
    http://www.howtoforge.com/traditional_dns_howto

3. TheRudy

great stuff that article! Don't know how i missed it..

Yeah so basically you need 2 servers, 1 as master and 1 as slave. I only have one which in the end means that i will have to use master and slave for 1 server only and if it dies, its dead.. If i had two servers and master dies, slave would step in and do the job as master for the time when master is dead. Did i get it right?

So untill i have at least 2 servers, i will have to use 1 server as master and slave. They will both point to the same ip..
    Well it sucks but its my only option i guess..

1 more question! I also saw a few guys talking about option that your ISP acts as slave. What's the point in that? I mean if master goes down, slave would step in and that would load ISP page or whatever they set to load.. <--- Maybe i missread this and what i just said is complete crap lol

4. TheRudy

Just reread what i said and it really is crap!

It's actually like this: Use ISP as slave and then they redirect back to the IP.. IP is the same server as master so its no point in doing this either.. If master goes down then it means that server is down probably and redirect would have no effect at all..

Yes, 1 server as master and slave my only option currently..

Ups, forgot one important thing!
    Would domain registrants have any problems if ns1 and ns2 would point to the same IP address? Probably they will :(

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

It depends on the registrar...