OwnCloud installation is driving me nuts

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by OE1FEU, Oct 21, 2015.

1. OE1FEU

OE1FEU New Member

I have read so many tutorials and forums to get owncloud working, to no avail.

My server is a dedicated piece of hardware in a German data center running CentOS 7 64Bit.
    I did a domain configuration with ISPconfig for owncloud.myserverdomain, added a CNAME on my ISP's configuration panel.
    Domain configuration completed for user web5 and goup client1 in ISPconfig
    Configure owncloud user database MariaDB in ISPconfig.

Installation methods tried:
    * Adding the suggested repositories for CentOS.
    These, however default to installing files in /var/www/html and moving/linking files into /var/www/clients/client1/web5/web produced a re-direct loop after trying to log in.

* Installing the source tar ball in /var/www/clients/client1/web5/web
    This resulted in not being able to finish setup because of permission problems. I did chmod -R web5:client1 on all files and made /apps and /config writable, yet, nothing changed.

I have spent the better part of today trying everything I could think of, but nothing wored, so I wonder whether someone has actualy been able to get ISPconfig up and running with owncloud on a dedicated subdomain.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Wont work.

That's the right way. Which exact error did you get and which php mode did you use, the right mode is php-fcgi or php-fpm and suexec must be on.

3. OE1FEU

OE1FEU New Member

I realize that now, though I'd rather use my package manager's update mechanism instead of manually doing it.

I did a fresh install manually as described, deleted the database and redid that one in ISPConfig. I try to log with my regular user name (non-root) as admin and fill in all the etails for the database - and I am back in a redirection loop. I used php-fpm and suexec is set.

4. till

1) Create a new website for ownclud in ispconfig. Do not set any redirects. use php-mode php-fpm and enable suexec.
    2) Create a mysql database in ispconfig.
    3) download owncloud into the web folder of the website, unpack it and chown it to the website user and group.
    4) open the url of the website in a browser and follow the instructions of the owncloud installer.

used that procedure secveral times already and it always worked without issues.

5. OE1FEU

OE1FEU New Member

First of all: Thanks a lot for being so helpful!

I went through the steps as you have described them, deleted the initial database, created a new one, added a corresponding DNS entry in my ISP's config panel, restarted apache and mariadb and started the installation.

Now, I am really clueless when it comes to databases, so before starting the installation I did some research on one particular issue, namely what to use as name for the admin user, so I found this:
    [Can't post link as newbie] (Last posting by perlwonk in owncloud forum)
    "I found the problem. I needed to supply the root MySQL user name and password, not the owncloud database user and password in the setup wizard." So, for the first time, I put in root as user and the corresponding password, which I checked by logging in. Now, with the new database user created in ISPconfig, I get a new error message:

Error while trying to create admin user: An exception occurred while executing 'CREATE TABLE `oc_appconfig` (`appid` VARCHAR(32) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL, `configkey` VARCHAR(64) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL, `configvalue` LONGTEXT DEFAULT NULL, INDEX appconfig_config_key_index (`configkey`), INDEX appconfig_appid_key (`appid`), PRIMARY KEY(`appid`, `configkey`)) DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin ENGINE = InnoDB': SQLSTATE[42S01]: Base table or view already exists: 1050 Table 'oc_appconfig' already exists
    Suffice to say, this leaves me at loss as well. I assume this points to a some DB error, or something. Googling for the issue only left me puzzled, since the only instances I found referred to a failed upgrade.

I am a little hesitant as to why there is no documentation pointing to actually putting root as user in the 'Create admin' field, so maybe there is some fundamental misunderstanding on my side in this regard. Why would I expose my database root password during an installation process over a non-SSL line? Somehow doesn't sound right to me, so I guess I misunderstood something.

6. till

You enter the mysql username of the database user that you created n ispconfig and not the root username.

The error:

Error while trying to create admin user: An exception occurred while executing 'CREATE TABLE `oc_appconfig` (`appid` VARCHAR(32) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL, `configkey` VARCHAR(64) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL, `configvalue` LONGTEXT DEFAULT NULL, INDEX appconfig_config_key_index (`configkey`), INDEX appconfig_appid_key (`appid`), PRIMARY KEY(`appid`, `configkey`)) DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin ENGINE = InnoDB': SQLSTATE[42S01]: Base table or view already exists: 1050 Table 'oc_appconfig' already exists

means that there must have been tables in that database already, maybe you run the owncloud installer a second time.

7. kteach

kteach New Member

I had this exact error. Unfortunately I do not know what caused it. I created a new database and tried again. This time it worked. I am using ubuntu 15.10.