Partitions & Quota

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by LeoLinux, Oct 15, 2006.

1. LeoLinux

LeoLinux New Member

Hi there,

I've mounted an other harddrive (nfs) for /var but from now on I'll get no more statistics. webalicer is dead... quota seems to be dead too.
    What do I have to tell quota in the fstab? what is necessarry to type in the terminal to get it woring again?

Code:
    #________________________________ Welcome to Server1 /etc/fstab _________________________________________#

/dev/hda1               /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro,usrquota,grpquota    1       2
    /dev/hda2               none            swap    sw              0       0
    /dev/pts                devpts          gid=5,mode=620          0       0
    none                    /dev/shm        tmpfs   defaults        0       0

#__________________________________________________ /var/www  ___________________________________________#

192.168.1.150:/mnt/2xIDE  /var  nfs  rsize=8192,wsize=8192,hard,intr       0       0

^^ thats how it looks at the moment.

Thank you very much ;-)

Leander

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Can you access /var now? What's the output of
    Code:
    ls -l /var
    ?

3. LeoLinux

LeoLinux New Member

no I can't ;-) because I changed the conf for the post ;-)

but anyway - I did it like that now:

I created a folder /ISPconfig/www and told it ISPconfig during it's installation. Everything seems so work out so far but withou NFS. so for the first few weeks I want to use an internal harddrive which is mounted in /ISPconfig but I want to change that as soon as possible and want to use the storeage of an Fileserver which provides it's storage as NFS. But I can't fix the compatibility of quota and NFS.

this is an preview how my fstab could look like - I tried but it didn'd work out.

Code:
    ################ NAS Storage #############

192.168.1.150:/mnt/2xSATA       /ISPconfig	nfs     auto,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,hard,intr,usrquota,grpquota           0       0

but there is an rerror like "nfs unknown option quota" or something like that ... so I think there is anything missed ... - any idea, any experience? or how are you handling that? do you have your storages in your ISPconfig server internal or do you also have those external on a storage server?

thanks for helping ;-)

Leander

4. falko

I don't use NFS on my servers. ;)

5. LeoLinux

LeoLinux New Member

Thx for your information - but what else do you use?

the one and only reasen why I want to use NFS was -because I'm a noob and had some attribute problems with samba, sshfs, ftp mounts so in the end I tested NFS and all worked out fine - no problemes on my FreeNAS Server (It's a buggy NAS Server Distribution based on FreeBSD - but it's very nice and it's easy to handle... bla blub.. and so on ..)

so tell me your solution - I'm excited ;-)) because I guess you don't have 20 Harddrives in a few Raid configs on your machine where also ISPconfig is running at the same time - or do you ;-) ?

P.S. just a privat question - when did you start with Linux and such stuff like that?

Leander

;-)

6. falko

My servers have two hard disks in a RAID 1 setup.

About 10 years ago. :)

7. LeoLinux

LeoLinux New Member

hmm ok ... I also thought about such an solution ... but I want to use more space ;-) and I don't have for eg. 500 GB hdds so I thought of an NAS-Server with Raid 5 and a Gigabit Ethernet or something like that ... it's just quota and NFS which I'm to stupid to configure ;-)

but I'll see ... - I'm using one hdd atm ... but I'll change as soon as possible ....

Thx!

Leander

;-)

8. falko

9. LeoLinux

LeoLinux New Member

Thx I've heard and read about LVM - it's a nice thing.
    It would be great in combination with Raid 1 ;-) But I guess you only can use rsync for backup security ...

But I don't know why I don't want to have the Storage internal this ISPconfig Server. I guessed it would be more professional to have storeage servers external?!

And one big reason is that I have the ISPconfig Server running on a xen machine ... and the xen machine has no more IDE controller left .. and I didn't want to put one more PCI controller inside-because it's only an ATX tower which don't has tha much space left .... that's why I took another one and put some harddrives in, installed FreeNAS, created a Raid 5 and shared it firstly via ssh then samba, and finaly NFS.
    Everything is working fine and fast except quota ;-)

why don't you use Storage Server for your projects? what's your pro and contra?

Thx

Leander

10. falko

We use backup servers. Backups are done with rsync and MySQL dumps are taken from a MySQL replication slave.