Password generator not following minimum password length or strength

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by felan, May 8, 2014.

1. felan

felan Member HowtoForge Supporter

ISPConfig 3.0.5.4p1, Debian Squeeze (6.0.9)

I have set our password strength to strong and password length to 8, but the password generator for DB, FTP and other still suggests passwords under strength and below 8 characters. Is this a bug in ISPConfig and/or something I can fix myself?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Click on reload in your browser to reload the ispconfig interface. the password generator is a javascript program, your browser has cached the old strength settings.

3. felan

felan Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi and thanks for the fast reply.

Yes the password length is now up where it should be, but password strength is still not where it should be, suggesting 'Good' when I specified 'Strong'.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, your right. sometimes there is a password with just good strength. I've added this to the bugtracker.

5. wokka

wokka New Member

I've run across this issue as well. Is there a way to modify what the password generator will generate? Can we specify that it should include at least 2 special characters as well?

Thanks!

6. Croydon

Croydon ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

It will be improved in 3.0.5.4 patch2 (already in git stable).

7. bundfeg

bundfeg New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi, I'm using 3.0.5.4p5 and just tested the password-recovery.
    The minimum password length is set to 12 and the strenght to very strong. But the password in the reset-e-mail is just 8 letters. Can you reproduce that?
    Is there a quick way to fix this?

8. Croydon

Thanks for the report. There is no quick fix yet, but we'll try to create a patch during the next days.

9. bundfeg

We had a nice idea as workaround. We concat three of these 8-letter passwords, send these by mail, and so it's very likely that the customer will change the password afterwards. And then he gets the right strength and lenght.
    Since it's also not perfect to send passwords by mail, it's a nice way of "forcing" the customer to change the password by himself.

10. Croydon

You can try the attached patch, but please make a backup of the interface/lib/classes/auth.inc.php and interface/web/login/password_reset.php before applying it.
    You can apply by:
    Code:
    cd /usr/local/ispconfig
    patch -p0 < /path/to/downloaded_patch/lostpw_patch.txt
    Use at your own risk, as it is an unreleased patch.

Attached Files:

till likes this.
  11. bundfeg