Password problem

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by ITFixt, Apr 12, 2015.

1. ITFixt

ITFixt Member

Am I imagining it or if I have a mysql password which contains or is terminated with, e.g. ";;" - multiple semicolons - the ISPConfig installer strips those semicolons before writing the password to various configuration files? I had to go and manually edit the ISPConfig, Pure-FTPD, Postfix, etc. files and change the passwords.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPconfig doe snot modify the password but the passwords of the ispconfig user are auto generated and dont contain a ; when ISPConfig creates them, so your kins of password is untested and might cause problems with some applications. When you move ispconfig to a new server, then better keep the password or create one which does not contain characters that might be interpreted in commands on the shell like $ or ;

3. ITFixt

ITFixt Member

Sorry Till, I wasn't being very clear: the passwords I'm referring to are those for the Unix Root user and the MySQL root user.

It is becoming common these days for people to incorporate punctuation characters (such as ; and . ) in passwords and so I did just that. I am now pretty certain the the ISPConfig installer does not like this, for the reason you state. Perhaps there needs to be a note about this somewhere appropriate? However, I think I've now found all the places where these needed to be manually edited after installation and I have successfully moved my whole ISPConfig configuration, including around 100 web sites. It was a bit nerve-wracking but I got there :)

I did come across problems other than the password one - in particular, I had to manually edit the Dovecot config file to add "user" lines to the IMAP and POP3 services but I have no idea what caused that so I'm not posting anything separate about it - but most were very easy to fix. I have one remaining problem which I will post about separately if I don't find a solution searching here.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The shell root password is not used by ispconfig at all and the mysql root password is not written to any of the service config files that you metioned above, the mysql root password is only written to the file /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/mysql_clientdb.conf and there are no charachters stripped from the password there, just tested it with the ; character that you metioned. If your mysql root password was in any other files, then tit was not added by ispconfig there as all other services are logging in withe the mysql user "ispconfig" they never use the root user.

Never had to modify any of that files on Debian, Ubuntu, Centos or OpenSuSE. I guess you either use a different linux distribution or you must have modified the ispconfig sources that you use on your server.