PCLinusOS 2007 "Loop File"

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by springheal, Nov 16, 2007.

1. springheal

springheal New Member

Burned ISO to cd. Booted computer and selected " Live CD. Loads for awhile and then get a red message that says " unable to load loop file " and I can not procede any further from here. I do not want to install it, only run from cd to try it out as I have read many positive reviews. I admit I am a newbie to Linux ( but have tried 8 or 9 distros, some great and some I can not get any further than where I am now with PCLinuxOS with similar problems, but not the same).

What is a " Loop File " and how do I overcome this problem.

Any thoughts or advise please ?

P.S.
    Linux uses far too many terms and phrases that are meaningless, confusing and gibberish to newbies which put many people off for good. PCLinux 2007 statement on welcome screen is " Radically Simple " !! Oh I wish I could discover if this statement is true or false. I may never get to find out !!

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Seems like a problem with the CD. Have you compared the MD5 sums of the original iso image and the one on your HDD? If they are the same, I'd burn the CD again, otherwise download the iso again.

3. springheal

springheal New Member

Yes I agree there seems to be a problem with the cd's !! I have actually downloaded and burned from not only a mirror site ( checked MD5 sums ),but also the torrent and I came up with negative results with both cd's after successful burns. After doing an erase on the cdrw which apparently was succesful according to "Astonsofts DeepBurner, Version 1.8 " which I use for burning ISO files, I then discovered that DeepBurner did NOT actually burn OR erase successfully even though it notified me it had. Looks like I need to find another application for burning ISO files. Sorry to have taken your valuable time Falko as I was sure I did everything correctly. Incidently, I was very impressed with your " The Perfect Desktop " tutorial which was well put together in plain and simple language. Thanks.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

It could also be a problem with the CD drive. Do you have another one to test with?

5. springheal

springheal New Member

CD drive is fine and my easy solution was to uninstall DeepBurner and did a reinstall. Everything went perfectly after that and am now able to discover PCLinusOS 2007. Sorry to have taken up your time Falko, especially as it was no fault of PCLinusOS, but my own !!

6. springheal

springheal New Member

One day running PCLinusOS 2007 on " Live CD " with no problems. Next day I try to bootup and yet again I get this crazy " Loop file system unable to load ". After 3 burns, 2 downloads and the third one operated fine one day and then plays up the next day, perhaps this is not for me after all !!