Perfect debian sarge, saslauthd, named socket "mux"

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by flashingcurser, Oct 2, 2006.

1. flashingcurser

flashingcurser New Member

For those who may be struggling with getting saslauthd to create the named socket "mux" here is a tip:

DO NOT put:

Code:
    PARAMS="-m /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd -r"
    In /etc/defaults/saslauthd

With the current debian /etc/init.d/saslauthd script this will not create a pid or a named socket "mux" in /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd.

What I needed to do (dons flameproof enclosure--2hour firewall heh) was to change the line in /etc/init.d/saslauthd from:

Code:
    PARAMS="${PARAMS} -a ${MECHANISMS}"
    To:

Code:
    PARAMS="-m /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd -r -a ${MECHANISMS}"
    Hackish, but it works.

Then it will start the daemon, create a pid, and a named socket "mux" in the correct location (according to the howto). This does very well in getting a socket created, unfortuantely postfix doesnt look for the socket in /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd like the tutorial suggests. Untill I get more time, clients for the company that I set up this lamp server for will have to use their isp's smtp server.

(BTW, this is a great howto for when you are given 12 hours to get a lamp server up and transfer many web pages, dns, sql databases, etc in a hurry)

Thanks

dan

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I've never had problems with the way it is described in the tutorial... :confused:

But then putting
    Code:
    PARAMS="-m /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd -r"
    in /etc/default/saslauthd should work because that file is included in /etc/init.d/saslauthd.