Perfect Debian Setup on Strato vServer - Question about quota

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Been Told, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Been Told

Been Told Member

Hi there!
    I've persuaded a friend to go from openSuse10.3 with Plesk to Debian Etch with ISPconfig. Now installing ISPconfig I ran into a problem at step 8 - Quota.

The tutorial says to make /etc/fstab make look roughly like this:
    Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
    /dev/sda1       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro,usrquota,grpquota 0       1
    /dev/sda5       none            swap    sw              0       0
    /dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
    /dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
    And when I did that on my Hetzner Root Server, it went fine. I added errors=remount-ro,usrquota,grpquota after default in sda1.

But with the vServer on Strato when I open /etc/fstab I get this:
    Code:
    proc  /proc       proc    defaults    0    0
    none  /dev/pts    devpts  rw          0    0

Obviously if I add the errors=remount-ro,usrquota,grpquota after default, that doesn't work. When I try to run the mount -o remount / command from the tutorial I get the error:
    mount: / not mounted already, or bad option

Any suggestions anyone?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

It seems as if the partitions are defined on the host system, not in the vm. Do you know what virtualization technique Strato is using?

3. Been Told

Been Told Member

Hi!
    Sorry for the late reply. Strato seem to have a lot of time. Or assume that I do. Anyway, according to their support reply they use "Parallels Virtuozzo".

4. Been Told

Been Told Member

Uh, you know what? I think I'm gonna decline here. Seeing as I have no bloody clue what the hell you're talking about.

5. falko

I'm using OpenVZ on some servers - it's the open-source branch of Virtuozzo. I've just checked in one VM, and my /etc/fstab is completely empty there. I'm not sure, but maybe the quota has to be configured on the host system (to which you don't have access, right?).

6. Been Told

Been Told Member

Correct. So I'm guessing the quota function in ISPconfig (or any other setup) is a no-no in this case?

7. falko

Yes, at least I think so. I'd have to investigate if there's any other way to use quota in such a VM.

8. Been Told

Been Told Member

Ok, thanks for the info. It has been decided now that ISPconfig won't be used for that vServer.
    It came with an openSUSE and Plesk and that is what we're gonna go with for now. I've heard of cases of people running both Plesk and ISPconfig, but I think I'll leave that for now lol.