perfect server centos 5.2 - wont boot after installing Quota

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Layla Nahar, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Layla Nahar

Layla Nahar New Member

Hi,

I got to http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-centos-5.2-p4 and when I power cycled my machine it was unable to boot. I posted here to find out if there is any way to correct this other than re-installing

I power cycled after having done Ch 8 (Quota) and part of Ch 9 (BIND9)

one of the steps for Ch 8 is to edit /etc/fstab, then run

touch /aquota.user /aquota.group
    chmod 600 /aquota.*
    mount -o remount /
    quotacheck -avugm
    quotaon -avug

I has some trouble with mount -o remount / but then I fixed a typo in /etc/fstab and the command seemed to complete without any message.

When I booted I got the error:
    fsck.ext3: No such file of dirctory while tryin go open /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol100. The super block coun not be read or does not descip a correct ext2 file system ... you might try unning e2fsck with an alternate superblock

the only other /dev/&c I have is the swap file.

when I ran e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol100 I got the message "No such file of dirctory while tryin go open /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol100"

Is there a way I can fix this without reinstalling the OS?

Thank you

I'm prepared to reinstall, but it would be nice to avoid it. (It took between 2 - 3 hrs to install ...)

ps - I didn't make a copy of fstab before editing. I expect that is the last time I will make that mistake...

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You could boot from a Live-CD and take a look at your fstab - I guess you made an error in there.

3. Layla Nahar

Layla Nahar New Member

Thank you Falko for answering my post. I tried using the rescue feature of the CD. fstab and a lot of other files were missing from the /etc directory. I made a new copy of fstab from scratch, but I still got the same failure. I am re-installing.

thanks again!