Perfect Server Ubuntu 12.04 – Mail not working

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by adonosonix, Oct 13, 2013.

1. adonosonix

adonosonix New Member

I have installed my Ubuntu 12.04 web server following the guide available on how to forge.
    Then, I have created one client in ISPConfig. Using this client, I have a domain (example.com) and a mailbox ([email protected]) in the e-mail configuration of ISPConfig.

I do not use any DNS system on my server (though Bind has been installed by the procedure) and I have setup my registrar's DNS (OVH) for the domain as follow :
    Code:
        .example.com      NS      Their main server name
        .example.com      NS      Their secondary server name
        .example.com      MX 1    example.com
        .example.com      MX 100  example.com
        .example.com      A       MY_SERVER_IP
        www.example.com   A       MY_SERVER_IP
        mail.example.com  CNAME   example.com
        smtp.example.com  CNAME   example.com

I can see the mailbox using the webmail, but :

– I can't use it to send mails (composing a new mail and hitting send doesn't do anything)
    – When I send mails to [email protected], the webmail doesn't report anything in the inbox.

When I try to setup the mailbox (IMAP) using a client (Apple mail) I can go through the IMAP setup (apparently, mail is able to contact the server mail.example.com and log in) but I can't setup the SMTP on smtp.example.com or on mail.example.com or on example.com. The request times out.

**What's wrong with my setup ?**

Here are the latest mail logs

I have replaced my domain by example.com and the IP address from my router at home by MY_HOME_IPV4_ADDRESS. That's probably either attempts from Apple mail to check smtp and imap for the mailbox I tried to configure, or to send an e-mail towards [email protected].

Remark: Of course, my server is configured with the real domain name, not with example.com

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013