perfect-server-ubuntu-14.10-with-apache-php-myqsl-pureftpd-bind-postfix-doveot-and-ispconfig

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Alex Hulshof, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Alex Hulshof

Alex Hulshof Member

Since I cannot use port 25 (blocked by my provider), I have to use another port. How should I do this?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Is the port blocked for incoming or outgoing traffic or for both?

3. Alex Hulshof

Alex Hulshof Member

according to my provider I should use a: setup e-mail via IMAP (secured):
    incoming mailserver imap.mydomain (SSL poort 993 / TLS poort 143)
    outgoing mailserver smtp.mydomain (SSL poort 465 / TLS poort 587)

4. till

If your provider does not allow port 25 incoming, then your server will not be able to receive any external emails. So you can only use it as internal server that fetches e.g. mail by imap from a gmail account. If you want to use it as real mailserver, then you better get a small virtual server in a datacenter and dont run the serevr at home.

5. Alex Hulshof

Alex Hulshof Member

would it be possible as follows:
    setup e-mail via POP (secured)
    incoming mailserver pop.mydomain (SSL port 995)
    outgoing mailserver smtp.mydomain (SSL poort 465 / TLS port 587)

6. till

You can not run a normal mailserver thats shall be able to receive emails on a connection that has port 25 closed. The reason is that all external servers, e.g. gmail, yahoo or hotmail will try to connect your server on port 25 to deliver the email, if they cant reach your server on that port, mail delivery will fail.

7. Alex Hulshof

Alex Hulshof Member

just talked with my provider (happens to be an Ubuntu freak as he calls himself) and he secured me that port 25 is open for incoming mails.
    So how to setup my mailserver using:
    incoming mailserver pop.mydomain (SSL port 995)
    outgoing mailserver smtp.mydomain (SSL poort 465 / TLS port 587)
    or:
    with imap at port 143 and pop3 at port 110

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  8. till

pop is not incoming email, pop is a protocol to fetch emails. The perfect server guide enables pop on port 995 by default, so if you want to use that then all you have to do is to type in this port in your mailclient. Same for imap.

if your provider blocks port 35 outgoing for smtp, then you have to configure the smtp server of your provider under System > server config as relay server as other mailservers expect to ve contacted on port 25.

9. Alex Hulshof

Alex Hulshof Member

Hi Till,

everything now works. Thanks for the help :)