perfect setup debain

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by barrysul, Nov 13, 2006.

1. barrysul

barrysul New Member

I would like to migrate my running mail server, now running an a debian machine, to a machine running suse 10.1. My question is if I can get all the software installed and running, can I then copy the vmail directory (as is) to the new machine, and then backup and restore the vmail db to the new machine? Can this work? Are there any other considerations?

Thanks in advance

Barry S

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Which setup are you using on your Debian server now?

And are you absolutely sure you want to switch to SuSE? In my opinion this is the worst distribution out there... :(

3. barrysul

barrysul New Member

The setup I am using is:
    Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL (+ SMTP-AUTH, Quota, SpamAssassin, ClamAV)

I have been using SuSE for about 8 years and it has some kde features that I like, and I am comfortable with it. I know it has some problems -especially opensuse, but I usually can work around them.

The biggest problem with moving the mailserver, I think, is that the Courier software must be recompiled with mysql, since SuSE distributes it only with ldap. Once that is done, I believe it will work.

I then have to migrate the rest of the data and the database, and I am not sure if it can be done. I believe that I should only need the /home/vmail directory and it's contents, as well as the mysql database.

questions that arise:

Will I have a problem with uid's or gid's?
    Will it be enough to backup the mysql database then restore in on the new machine?
    Are there any other potential problems that I am not seeing?

Thanks
    Barry S

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I don't think so.
    That should work.
    Check the Postfix version on your SuSE installation. If it's 2.2 or newer, the format of the /etc/postfix/mysql*.cf files changes. You can take a look at the same tutorial for Fedora to see how they should look then: http://www.howtoforge.com/fedora_virtual_postfix_mysql_quota_courier