perfect setup fedora core 4 - p3

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by jfm, Feb 17, 2008.

1. jfm

jfm New Member

Hi, i have tried to follow this how to, but have had som problems.

the first problem i had was with : yum install apt

this dosnt work error ends with : no more errors to try.

i tried to continue, using yum instead to apt, but couldnt install imap. Ive now started from the begining, but im still having trouble with apt

please help

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Fedora Core 4 is pretty old. Why don't you use Fedora 8?

Anyway, instead of using apt, you can install all packages with yum. The syntax is the same:
    Code:
    yum install [I]package_name[/I]

3. jfm

jfm New Member

Tried that too.

Ive tried a few versions now, and had different problems, with mysql, and email mostly. I installed a Debian network install three times and it wouldnt accept the root user password, tried three times incase i messed up and forgot it (well, ive not been getting much sleep.)

can you please suggest a Distribution. im compleatly new to linux, still new to php and mysql. I have a turn based game online, (not sure if im allowed to post link, so i wont.) and was hoping to run it on a local web server for testing.

Sorry, but just one more thing. i have a domain registered with go daddy. i changed the a record to my ip address, this worked untill i installed ISPConfigwould you know where i could find moer information about this.

thanks for your time. JFM

4. falko

I'd use Debian...
    What exactly isn't working?

5. jfm

jfm New Member

ok, ill start again.

Hi, thanks again for your reply. the problem i was having with ISPConfig is now when i use the domain name www.xxxxx.com, ISPConfig replys with ' this is a shared server and that i must use a name, and not a ip address.

Any how, im going to instal Debian again now. i will let you know how i get on.

Thanks pat.

6. falko

Please make sure that you have www.xxxxx.com in Vhosts_ispconfig.conf, and that you use an IP address from the
    Code:
    ifconfig
    output in Vhosts_ispconfig.conf. If you use other IP addresses, you get the Shared IP page.