Perfect Setup Ubuntu 7.04: MySQL host password problem

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by cheros, May 2, 2007.

1. cheros

cheros Guest

Hi,

Due to circumstances I had to build the host from a Ubuntu desktop CD which shouldn't be a problem. However, at page 4 I'm stuck, when I execute:

root@myhost:/ mysqladmin -h mybox.abc.com -u root password blabla123

(obviously not the real host or password :)) I get

mysqladmin: connect to server at 'mybox.abc.com' failed
    error: 'Host 'mybox.abc.com' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server'

I checked, the "bind-address 127.0.0.1" statement was already uncommented in /etc/mysql/my.cnf and there's no other file that holds a related config. I also tried surrounding the password with double quotes, but that doesn't seem to be the problem..

I'm going to soldier on with the installation, but I think when I hit the ISPpanel phase I'll run into problems..

Suggestions?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

This means that the mysql.user table holds a different hostname than mybox.abc.com. Either change the hostname in the mysql.user table (for example using phpMyAdmin) and restart MySQL, or use the hostname from the mysql.user table in the mysqladmin command instead of mybox.abc.com.

3. cheros

cheros Guest

You were right - it lacked the domain part of the hostname (so host test.domain.com was files as 'test' only).. At least phpMyAdmin worked without a glitch :).

Thanks!

4. Montana Dave

Montana Dave New Member

Howdy !
    I am experiencing the same issue -
    'Host 'blah' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server'
    - I did what you suggested and the server name in Mysql was the same as the one I am using to login (that is not working). Any Ideas ?
    BTW, I have been using your "perfect setup" for Feisty and all of it has been working great ! (With this one exception) Thanks much for your excellent instructions ...
    Thanks much ...

5. falko

Take a look at chapter 8 on http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_server_opensuse10.3_p4 (beginning with
    )

It shows how you can correct the hostname stored in the mysql.user table.

6. New2this

New2this New Member

Similar Problem Someone please help clarify

As my name states I am very green to linux and such. What I am trying to do is set up a server on a computer I have here. I have a static IP and linksys router connecting this computer to the internet. I have been working through the perfect server instructions for fedora. I am getting the same connect to server failed error.

I followed the steps closely all the way through but I think my main confusion is what to use as the IP address, the hostname and the gateway to use throughout the setup

I imagine the gateway is the address of the router and the IP is address is my internet connections IP address,but I am not sure what to use as the host. do I have to register a domain name before I can do this setup or what should I put?
    Can someone please help clarify this for me or offer some advice as to how to proceed?

Thanks

7. falko

Yes, it's your router's internal IP address, not the public one.

No, it's not your router's public IP address. You must use a free IP address of your local network (from the same subnet where your router's local IP is from).

You can buy a domain or use a domain from dyndns.org, or you can even make up a hostname (but make sure you add it to /etc/hosts so that the system can resolve it locally).