perfect_setup_ubuntu704

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by BuhDuh, Jun 11, 2007.

1. BuhDuh

BuhDuh New Member

I have been running a SOHO using (Shh! XP-Pro :cool: ) for quite a while, but didn't have the courage to try migrating it till Feisty Fawn and this HOWTO. I carefully followed the steps and bang had a functional setup in a few hours. Awesome! OK, I have not made the server live, and I installed it dual-boot, but I really feel I have accomplished a lot today. At the risk of being modded troll or flamebait, let me share my opinion of my experiences. First, without this HOWTO, and the power of the whole community it implies, I could never have done it.
    When I wanted a mail solution for my initial setup, I simply downloaded, installed and configured Mercury32 for XP; a very simple 'Configure Users' gui and I had email up and running. Similarly with my shared folders and NAS options. Looking back at the cli options I cut/pasted to my root shell to get mail working, I can't help but wonder how quickly they would disillusion a Windows-centric admin who would like to try linux? I'll be the first to admit, what I installed by following the carefully-crafted instructions was way more than I have with my live setup, and I'm looking forward to fine-tuning it in the days to come (when I can get other users to cut me some slack, or it's the middle of the night, whatever comes first). As it stands now, I have email up for my users with Maildir/pop and that's good as far as it goes.
    Things to do?
    * Get imap working: I can't find a reference in the HOWTO as to 'how to create and authenticate users'
    * Get samba up and running
    * Get sound working
    The last two I figure I will do as I did when I found the HOWTO - google and read, but I have not a clue on the imap thing.
    Summing Up?
    With patience, and an open mind, even the most Windows-centric/Linux-phobic out there will be astonished at what they can achieve, I know I was, and I have been running a MUD (on RH5, now CentOS Etch) for a long time, I just never had the courage to base my network on linux.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

IMAP should work out of the box, there's nothing you need to configure.

Why do you need sound on a server system?