Perfer Ubuntu Server 8.04 on VPS?

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by JoePorge, Jun 30, 2008.

1. JoePorge

JoePorge New Member

Hello,
    I am just about to install my first VPS machine (webserver) using Ubuntu 8.04 server and will be following this wonderful HOW TO by Falko Timme.

My VPS specs are as follows: Memory 256, Disk 10 GB, 2 public IPs and 200 GB transfer. What I'd like to use with my VPS are for: hosting about 18 domains (Joomla sites), email server, DNS server and will be using ISPConfig for ease of server admin.

But before proceeding with installation I'd like to know/learn more from this forums about using this tutorial on VPS.

My questions are as follows:
    1. Is this setup really "perfect" for my needs?
    2. What are the changes/adjustments I need to make from the tutorial to fit my needs?

I would really appreciate any suggestions you might have to better my first vps setup.

Many thanks in advace.
    Joe

PS: Special thanks to Falko for wonderful howtos published here.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

As far as I can see, this tutorial is fine for your needs. But keep in mind that 256MB RAM is not much, so if your sites get lots of traffic, the load might go up, and the machine might start to swap.

3. JoePorge

JoePorge New Member

Hello Falko,
    I have always wondered about my machine's limited resources to handle 18 or more Joomla sites. I guess my first thing to do for now is install the system, get it up and running do some testing then start loading a couple of sites and see how it handles.

I will try to post of any progress (good or bad) along the way.

Many thanks. Keep up the great work.

Kind regards,
    Joe