Permission Question: Mirror with rsync & ISPConfig 3

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Rescue9, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Rescue9

Rescue9 Member

I've been following the Mirror Your Web Site With rsync tutorial in an effort to backup my clients sites to another server. Because I use a VPS with relatively small disk space, I don't have the room to run a .tgz backup script like I want.

In step 2 it states that "(of course, someuser must have read permissions on /var/www on server1.example.com)." To solve this, I added 'someuser' the each clients' group (client1, client2, etc.) which solved some of the problem.

However, using ISPConfig 3.0.4.1 (my current version), the ../client/client#/web#/web folder is set to 710. As such, the group doesn't have read permission to the folder, thus backing up the ./web directory doesn't work. You guys have always stated that manually changing permissions to individual folders managed by ISPConfig is a bad thing. So, what is your recommendation to allow 'someuser' to read the ./web directory in order to rsync this info to another box?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Use the root account for rsync.

3. Rescue9

Rescue9 Member

So you're saying to change the cron job on the mirror from this line
    Code:
    rsync -avz --delete --exclude=**/stats --exclude=**/error --exclude=**/files/pictures -e "ssh -i /root/rsync/mirror-rsync-key" [email protected]:/var/www/ /var/www/
    to this line?
    Code:
    rsync -avz --delete --exclude=**/stats --exclude=**/error --exclude=**/files/pictures -e "ssh -i /root/rsync/mirror-rsync-key" [email protected]:/var/www/ /var/www/

EDIT: I mulled over what you said, then went back and re-read the HOWTO again. If I'm reading you correctly, I'm to redo the article substituting root anywhere I see 'someuser'. Is this what you're saying?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Yes, but you don't have to create the root account on the remote server, of course. :)