Permissions with ntfs3g usb disk on ubuntu

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Toaste, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Toaste

Toaste New Member

I set up ntfs3g and pmount to automount external usb drives with ntfs3g according to this howto. But I would like to change the default permissions mask.

I tried editing /etc/hal/fdi/policy/15-ntfs-policy.fdi by adding a umask option under the match for ntfs-3g (against a comment's better advice):

Code:
    <!-- if ntfs-3g, we need some special option (don't touch this policy if you change
    the default policy to ntfs above. In any way, **don't touch this policy**)-->

<device>

<match key="volume.fstype" string="ntfs-3g">
        	<append key="volume.mount.valid_options" type="strlist">nonempty</append>
        	<merge key="storage.policy.mount_option.nonempty" type="bool">true</merge>
        	<merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.nonempty" type="bool">true</merge>
    <!-- 
         Here's the added line:
    --> 
            <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.umask" type="string">0770</merge>

</match>

</device>

But after making this change, neither ejecting and re-plugging the device nor a reboot had any effect. If Gnome-Volume-Manager ignores permissions set in the hal, is there another way to override them without losing the convenience of having the drive mount automagically?