phantom mx domain still in system after removal, can't forward offsite.

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by minezamac, Oct 18, 2007.

1. minezamac

minezamac New Member

I have a server running ISPConfig Version: 2.2.1 that i installed with a .org domain and tried to point a .com domain there as well. To make a long story short, when I deleted the .com domain all the mail is still attempting to stay on the box. So when you email [email protected] forwarded to an offiste server it works. But when you email [email protected] forwarded to the now off server domain it returns undelivered with: (changed domain and sender only)

This is the Postfix program at host www.blah.org.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
    be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
    delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The Postfix program

<[email protected]> (expanded from
    <[email protected]>): mail forwarding loop for
    [email protected]
    Reporting-MTA: dns; www.blah.org
    X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 27C5756003F
    X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; [email protected]
    Arrival-Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 15:48:48 -0500 (CDT)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; [email protected]
    Original-Recipient: rfc822; [email protected]
    Action: failed
    Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; mail forwarding loop for
    [email protected]

Date: October 18, 2007 3:47:58 PM CDT
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: test email

test

I have tried to delete any references to the old .com domain but cannot find it anymore in the system. I then went into phpmyadmin and found it in a couple of places and deleted the row. I have restarted the SMTP and DNS services many times and still have the issue. Again, when you forward the address to any other domain to forwards the mail correctly, only when I have it forwarded to the domain that is now off the box that I tried to remove you get the loop message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This was a really bad idea as this has messed up your ISPConfig DB now as you most likely did not delete all dependant records in isp_nodes, isp_dep, dns_nodes and dns_dep. Do you have a backup of the database, that you can restore?

Instead of changing the database manually, you just would have to empty the recycle bin to remove the items.

3. minezamac

minezamac New Member

Backups, yeah, not one that makes things better...

It was done many moons ago, I have made many revisions since the offending changes to the database. It only came to light since trying to move the .org mail back to the server from an offsite server. So no there is no way to restore back the database without affecting other things.

The underlying problem is trying to get the ability to have the sites mail not be seen as spam since it was coming from a different domain. So I need to get this domain straightened out.

The ultimate goal is to simply have the .com mail be able to be sent from the .org server to the .com server. Currently it thinks it is hosting the .com mail and is trying to send the mail internally so to speak and says the accounts don't exit since they really don't on this server.

I have reviewed all the tables in the database and have no rows representing the .com domain present. Prior to doing that I emptied all the recycle bins in the system. I have restarted the SMTP and DB functions and I can see in the postfix local-hosts-file that the .com domain is no longer present. Is there another file a .db I think that postfix has that I still need to rebuild?

Thanks again.

4. till

The dependant records do not contain the domain name, but they can prevent ISPConfig from updating records. If you dont have a backup, there is nothing we can do about this problem.

There is no other file for postfix, so if the domain is not in this files anymore, then postfix does not have theis domain in its setup.

5. minezamac

minezamac New Member

Domain has offiste mail service, but it is trying to service the mail requests itself

Hello, I am that ispconfig site with the messed up domains, but now I am trying to fix the problem with a simple redirect from another domains account to an offsite account. So the problemn looks like this.

domain1.org is truly hosted on the box.
    domain1.com is not, but at a past time was in ispconfig and was appearently incorrectly ripped out, see previous unpleasent story that there is no solution for...

I tried to in the ispconfig email account setting forward the mail to another domain that I have godaddy forwarding the email to the true domain1.com email server.

But alas the domain is hosted on this ISPConfig box for it's web site and it will not forward the mail either. How do you tell the ISPconfig to use another DNS server as it's master DNS? It does not respect the MX record I am setting up in it apparently. I am open to suggestions. This is making tis server useless for emailing the folks that need to use an off box mail account that the domain is hosted on it. It just goes into a black hole of itself and never forwards the mail outward.

6. till

Your problem is not a DNS problem. Just set the website to external mailserver and all of its co-domains.