Phishing?

Discussion in 'Smalltalk' started by cheeesemonger, Nov 7, 2007.

1. cheeesemonger

cheeesemonger New Member

A user by the name Pixie, banned on their first day, seems to want advice on their novel. The only way to reply to them is through email. Suspicious to anybody?

2. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

I think Pixie PM'ed about everyone here.
    I also got this message. I've got Pixie's IP, and will ask one of the "big" mods to ban it (not that it will really help)

3. Djamu

Djamu New Member

well, I went to that site ( I like books ) & forum, seems something interesting is going on.

A person called Pixie posted a message complaining about receiving this same message..... http://www.zenofeller.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2745 ( might be a cover up )

looking at http://www.google.com/search?q=zenofeller+asylum+SPAM&num=100&hl=en&safe=off&filter=0

seems this is an ongoing thing..

I know it's kind of unusual, but since this is obviously spam, would one of the moderators be so kind to publish the Email adres / logged IP of this particular person ?

4. edge

I've got the IP, but will not post it here.
    All I will say is that it came from a telia.com (going to teliasonera.com) account. And yes they do have (as far as I can see) static IP's :)

Still this IP's could be one of many zombie PC's.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Got that message, too, and immediately banned that user.
    There's a floodcheck in the vBulletin settings that should prevent spammers from using private messages, but somehow he circumvented that. :(
    I wish there was a setting that allowed someone to PM only after he's made a certain number of forum posts.

6. MisterVlad

MisterVlad New Member

I could have sworn that there was an option to disable PM until X postings had been reached? If not with vBull, then maybe it was phpbb? (i have used both, and it was too long ago to remember all the admin settings).

But yeah, 3:04pm EST is when i got the email notification that there was a PM waiting for me.

7. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

I'm sure there's a mod that will allow sending PMs only after a certain amount of postings.

8. edge

Here you go: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82968, but they are saying that using "default vB Promotions" is a better way.

9. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

10. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

Yeah, forgot about promotions...

Basically the promotion tool will put users in a different group after they have reached a certain amount of postings.

E.g. newly signed up members can be put into "New Members" and this group doesn't then have the right to send PMs... after reaching e.g. 10 posts you can automove them to "Members" in which they can send pms...

It's build into VB since v. 2.x (maybe also before)