PHP down after exited on signal 9 (SIGKILL)

Discussion in 'General' started by topogigio, May 8, 2023.

Tags:
  1. topogigio

topogigio Member

Hi,
    I found whole php-fpm down. Last log rows report:

[07-May-2023 08:57:01] WARNING: [pool web114] server reached max_children setting (10), consider raising it
    [07-May-2023 08:58:00] WARNING: [pool web109] child 330555 exited on signal 9 (SIGKILL) after 181.113766 seconds from start
    [07-May-2023 08:58:00] NOTICE: [pool web109] child 332057 started
    [07-May-2023 08:58:01] NOTICE: Terminating ...
    [07-May-2023 08:58:04] NOTICE: exiting, bye-bye!
    I was able to restart the service with a simple systemctl start php...

Does this mean that web109 has issued some runtime problem, and this has stopped the whole PHP process?
    Is there any way I can avoid this kind of problem created by a single customer that has blocked every customers on the same php version?

thanks

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

3. topogigio

topogigio Member

What do you mean? PHP was down, I started it manually some hours after the logged problem.

4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Which part do you mean?
    I wrote two things, first to get the common issues report to get some context of the situation, that you omitted to provide. The other thing was asking if PHP was running, as that is one possible cause for the problem you reported, and to that it seems you answered
    Is the problem now solved?

5. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

There are a few things that can lead to such an error.
    • If you changed max_children in the settings it might be way to low
    • The PHP scripts are really poorly written and/or have a very slow execution time
    • A lot of client requests are incomming
    Make sure to check for these things if the problem occures again. If the webspace uses some sort of cms system/software you might want to check the bugtracker of the project to see if there is something wrong.