PHP multiversion and PHP FPM unix socket path

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by giovanni.four, Aug 30, 2017.

1. giovanni.four

giovanni.four New Member

Hi Dears,
    I have a Ispconfig 3.1.6 installed and working running on Debian 8 Jessie (now upgraded to Debian 9 Stretch). Recently I got php multiversion working following this howto https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...fig-3-from-debian-packages-on-debian-8-and-9/.
    The system is working but I have a question regarding unix socket path. Ispconfig does not allow to edit PHP_FPM settings ( like unix socket path prefix) for additional php version so fpm conf file created under /etc/php/$VERSION/fpm/pool.d/$webuser.conf contain a listen directive which point to /var/lib/php5-fpm/$webuser.sock (maybe should be something similar to /var/lib/$fpm-php-version/$webuser.sock).
    Apache virtual host file under /etc/apache/site-enable/ for site that use additional php version seems to use default php cgi name ... for example using PHP 7.1 version vhost file looks like below:

#Vhost file

Action php5-fcgi /php5-fcgi virtual
    Alias /php5-fcgi /var/www/clients/client45/web66/cgi-bin/php5-fcgi-*-80-host.com
    FastCgiExternalServer /var/www/clients/client45/web66/cgi-bin/php5-fcgi-*-80-host.com -idle-timeout 300 -socket /var/lib/php5-fpm/web66.sock -pass-header Authorization
    The system works perfectly with all php version but socket path and fastcgi directive seems to have php5 names.
    Can I ignore this issue?
    Thanks.
    BR.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The socket path is fine, this path is used for all PHP versions.

3. giovanni.four

giovanni.four New Member

Ok.
    Thanks.

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It would be good to do something, even as simple as changing 'php5' to 'php' everywhere, so that this question doesn't get asked over and over. Is there a straightforward migration path for something like that? (change what ispconfig generates, make sure the new directory exists, then resync websites ?)

5. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

@Jesse Norell , the only think I know that can work that way is using ondrej multiphp ppa, which I am basically using for quite some times now. Updates for it are quite often, so I am not so worried about bugs that much.

However, though there is a tutorial for this recently, I think using such ppa is not advisable on a production server especially a commercial one. Is it so @till or vice versa?

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I agree that we should change the paths to one without any version numbers inside, at least the ones in the config file. The socket directory itself is always the default one of the Linux distribution and some distributions use a version number there, not sure if we should introduce a new directory beside the one of the Distribution.

ahrasis likes this.
  7. HSorgYves

HSorgYves Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

I guess everyone knows where it's own compiled versions reside in. So changing the ones in the config files is enough IMHO.

8. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Seems reasonable, somewhere under /usr/local/ispconfig/server/